Chapter 19

The party had been going okay so far.

After their earlier encounter with Riddle, Harry and Draco remained in their spot talking and observing the other party goers. They were approached quite a lot, by old and young alike. Even though, they were obviously intent on talking to Draco, their eyes would also roam towards Harry, after which Draco would immediately dismiss that person, especially if they were an alpha.

Harry found it amusing. Draco was not as discreet as he thought he was being. Nevertheless, he didn't say anything, choosing to lean into Draco's side, giving polite smiles when necessary but for the most part taking joy in watching Draco trying to make small talk with people he clearly despised.

An orchestra Harry hadn't noticed until now, started up their next set. For the most part, they had been playing in low tones the whole night serving as soothing background music to the soft chatter. Now, there were several couples moving to large space in the centre of the hall that served as a dance floor.

It almost seemed like something out of a Hollywood set as they glided and moved gracefully. Harry hummed in appreciation, his eyes transfixed on them.

"They are all great at that." Harry noted.

Draco snorted into his tenth drink of the night, "Of course, as an elite you are expected to know how to dance at least a basic waltz."

Harry rolled his eyes, "And I take it that you know how to ballroom dance."

Draco chuckled,"The waltz, the quickstep, the Viennese waltz, and the foxtrot to name a few. I also learnt the tango when I had a business deal in the Caribbean."

Harry snorted, "Fucking show off."

Draco giggled lightly, "It's something expected of someone of my status," he looked pointedly at the seemingly happy couples dancing away, "Dancing is a form of communication. A lot of marriages have been arranged and broken tonight just by a simple dance. I am not a snob for being culturally aware, Mon ange."

"On the account that I have two left feet and can't dance to save my life, you are very much of a snob." Harry tutted, turning up his nose.

Draco rubbed circles into Harry's hip, "Of course, whatever you say darling."

Just then, they were approached by a woman. Harry would guess she was maybe two to three years older than him. Her dark hair was pulled into an elegant updo. She batted her light coloured eyes at Draco, "Would you care for a dance?"

Although Draco had been getting several glances, none of them had actually approached them until now. Draco was smiling but Harry could tell he was less than pleased. Harry chuckled and tugged the man's arm getting his attention.

"Go on." He teased.

Draco quirked a brow, before he could retort, Harry lightly pushed him towards the woman, "Go on, you don't want to keep the lady waiting."

Draco takes, but nonetheless took the woman's hand. The look he threw Harry as they walked to the dance floor promised retribution but Harry simply giggled and wiggled his fingers in a mocking wave.

He decided he would try the little fruity things the waiters had begun the serving.  He was having a rather pleasant conversation with a female waiter on the canapes on her serving dish. He was interrupted by someone pointedly clearing their throat behind him.

The waiter slinked away and Harry faced the source of the interruption.

She was tall, that was the first thing Harry noticed, she had maybe two or three inches on him without the small heels she was wearing. Her skin was pale in a way that spoke of high heritage. Her hair looked like spun gold and fell in delicate waves around her face and down her back. She was wearing a navy blue dress that shimmered lightly, hugging her delicate curves and cut open at the back. Her silver jewelry was light but clearly expensive.