Chapter 53. Foes and Woes

Start from the beginning

"Haha!" I laughed like a madman as I cut off his manhood. "Say bye-bye to your tiny pet snake!"

His eyes were filled with tears. He sobbed.

"Shut up, you baby." I whispered through gritted teeth. "How many children have you sold to those perverted nobles, huh? I bet they felt like this too."

With one final blow, the count died as soon as I thrusted my blade on his heart. The room was finally quiet, but everything was such a mess.

"Ah, this is so annoying." I clicked my tongue as I ran an eye over my body. "His blood got on me."

After wiping the blood, I changed my clothes into a black bodysuit. If I had to kill my target in broad daylight, this outfit would be out of question. But since it's night, I wore this so I can leave stealthily.

I had just finished covering my face with a mask when someone knocked on the door. "My lord, I have brought the client. He wishes to meet you."

I eyed the door warily. Client? Must be someone who wants to buy a slave too. Such odious men.

"My lord?" The servant asked in confusion.

As if sensing that something was amiss, the door swung open and the servant barged into the room.

His face paled when he saw the gruesome scene on the bed and the man shifted his gaze on me, who was on the window and preparing to escape.

"The count has been murdered!" He shouted.

I smirked. "Bye, fuckers."

Without hesitation, I jumped from the second floor of the mansion. I landed safely by curling myself and rolling on the ground. In an instant, the whole mansion was in chaos due to the news.

Still, I managed to escape from the count's guards by entering the woods adjacent to the mansion.

I ran with all my might. I never looked back.

As I got farther and farther from the mansion, it became more quiet. Only the dead leaves could be heard as they crunched beneath my running feet.

I'm safe and sound. My escape was successful.

Or so, that's what I thought.

A sword came out of nowhere and hurled towards me. I didn't see it coming, so I failed to dodge. The blade hit my shoulder and it sent me rolling. Fuck.

"I made an appointment with the count," Footsteps emerged from a distance. "But then some random arse kills him before I could even make him talk."

I flinched. I know that voice. Why is he here?

"Count Eleanor is a detestable man, so it's only reasonable that many people want him dead." His golden eyes looked at me. "So, who hired you?"

I got up on my feet then removed the sword from my shoulder. This is bad. Can I fight him injured?

Grand Duke Averill sighed. "Not going to talk?"

My chest heaved at the sound of his voice.

I'm not foolish enough to fight against a war hero in this state. So I did what I thought to be my best bet of escaping from the grand duke unscathed.

"Unfortunately, we're not allowed to disclose the name of our client, Your Grace." I said mockingly.

He frowned. "A woman?"

"Yes." I removed my mask. "A beautiful one."

As soon as he saw my face, his eyes widened.

"What?" Alistair seemed confused. "Isabelle?"

"Yeah," My brows furrowed. "Long time no see."

His lips dithered. The grand duke was so surprised that he couldn't even string his own words. After a moment of silence, he composed himself again.

"Why are you here? Did you kill Count Eleanor?"

I stared at him coldly. "I did."

"You killed a man?" He reiterated in disbelief.

"Why? Am I not allowed to? You also did it before, didn't you?" My face darkened. "And it was even a dear friend of mine that you killed, you traitor."

His jaw clenched. "I told you, I did it for you!"

"Okay. Thanks, I guess." I said with sarcasm.

"Isabelle, don't be like this. Please, let's talk."

I inhaled sharply. "What is there to talk about?"

My chest heaved at the recollection of that day.

"You don't love me at all." I pointed out.

"I have always loved you and you alone!"

"Really?" I glared at him. "What did you say back then? That even if you have to chain me, you'll do it? Just so you can take me with you to the north."

He was taken aback by my words.

I grinned. "So that's how you love, huh?"

"Do you truly think that I can do that, Isabelle?"

"Well, you sided with the devil and killed Haniel without any remorse. I wouldn't be surprised."

His eyes burned with rage. "Why do you keep talking about that man? He's dead! Is he more important to you than me? I'm the one you love!"

"You're the one I loved. Not anymore." I corrected his words. "You're mistaken if you think I still love you. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the case. Right now, I'm itching to break your neck."

He tried to speak, but Alistair was choked with tears. Misery was written all over his face.

"You can throw me away just like that? Did you even love me at all?" He looked so betrayed.

"I did. A bit too much that I even regret it. I was too drunk from that foolish first love." My voice cracked. "But now, that love is gone like smoke."

The words were strangled on my throat.

"Besides, this isn't only about Haniel." I hinted in a woeful tone. "I was with child that time, Alistair."

His mouth froze.

"You entrusted my life to the devil, and look what happened." My voice trembled. "Our child was crushed to death before she was even born."

His eyes moistened with tears. "Is that true?"

I averted my gaze and stayed quiet.

He took that silence as a yes. Grand Duke Averill was then overcame with irremediable sorrow.

A plaintive cry escaped from his throat as he mourned for his child that he never even met.

At that moment, a pining melancholy filled me.

After waking up as Kallen, I contemplated for a long time whether I should tell him about it or not. In the end, I decided to do so, because he was the father of that child. He deserves to know the truth.

As he broke down from a great wrench of sadness, I said nothing to comfort him. I was the same all this time. I also mourned like that all alone.

No one was there for me, but I survived it.

"I'm sorry." Alistair said in between sobs.

"I don't need your apology." I told him firmly.

Grand Duke Averill lifted his gaze to me, his eyes prickling with tears. For a moment, my hatred melted and I faltered, but I steeled my resolve.

"What's done is done." I coldly imitated his words that left a deep scar on me. "Get over it, Alistair."

I turned my back from him. He never stopped me. It felt like he wanted to, but he stopped himself.

Every time I choose you, it never ends well for us.

I cried bitter tears as I walked out of his life.

So I'm done loving you, Alistair Kirsten de Averill.

---