Chapter 4: Captured

——————————🎩——————————

As they three of them trekked through the forest, Hatter was mumbling some kind of story.

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe." He mumbled.

"What was that, Hatter?" (Y/n) asked him.

He looked down at her. "What was what?"

As he was talking, Alice climbed down from the hat and onto his shoulder.

"The Jabberwock with eyes of flame. Jaws that bite and claws that catch! Beware the Jabberwock my son! And the frumious Bandersnatch! He took his Vorpal sword in hand. The Vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head, he went galumphing back!"

Once he was finished, he turned to Alice. "It's all about you, you know."

"I'm not slaying anything. I don't slay, so put it out of your mind." Alice told him firmly.

Hatter stopped in his tracks. "...Mind..."

He suddenly took Alice off his shoulder and placed her on a tree stump. He then grasped (Y/n)'s hand in his and started walking away.

"Wait, you can't leave me here!" Alice protested.

Hatter stopped and turned to her. "You don't slay. Do you have any idea what the Red Queen has done? You don't slay."

"I couldn't if I wanted to." Alice argued.

"You're not the same as you were before. You were much more...muchier. You've lost your muchness."

Alice looked at him in confusion. "My 'muchness'?"

Hatter pointed to her chest. "In there. Something's missing."

"Tell me what the Red Queen has done." Alice requested.

Hatter shook his head.

"It's not a pretty story." (Y/n) emphasized.

"Tell me anyway."

Hatter looked around, and saw that they were in the ruins of what looked to be an old village. Only it was completely burnt.

"It was here. I was hatter to the White Queen at the time. Hightopp clan have always been employed at court."

...

Several years ago, the ruined village was now alive with much joy and happiness. A celebration of sorts was going on and people were dancing and having fun.

Hatter stood by a woman sitting on a white horse wearing a white dress and a golden crown.

He looked to the side and saw (Y/n) standing there, laughing and clapping along to the music. She glanced to the side, and saw him staring at her. She waved and gave him a smile, which he awkwardly returned.

When she looked away, Hatter nervously took off his hat, reached into it and pulled out a bouquet of flowers. He started to slowly side-step to where (Y/n) was, to give them to her, when a ear-splitting roar echoed through the sky.