A Strange Welcome

The encounter with the fairies left me feeling somewhat invigorated, but my return to the mansion was met with a puzzling obstacle.

"You will not be allowed to enter this mansion!" Meiling's voice rang out, accompanied by her imposing fighting stance.

I stared at her in confusion. "Err, why?"

"Intruders aren't permitted here!"

"Intruders? Wait, Miss Meiling, are you sure you're fully awake?"

"I just finished resting, thank you very much... I mean, I'm wide awake!"

"Wow, that was easy...."

"I-I'm telling you, I'm not sleeping!" She sighed in exasperation. "Shun, you're simply not allowed to enter."

"But why? I'm the butler you know?"

"The reason isn't clear, but Lady Remilia has made a decision. Starting now, you're classified as an intruder."

"Hmm... I understand, but I'll have to speak to her directly about this."

"Please, Shun, just leave before things escalate."

Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes for a moment. I then retrieved the silver youkai blade and the crimson stopwatch from my pocket

"Apologies, Lady Meiling," I said, my voice resolute. "However, I need to have a face-to-face conversation with her. So, you'll have to permit me passage." I assumed a stance.

"Heh... It's been a while since we've fought.... But it won't be easy!"

"Bring it on."

A playful smile graced Meiling's lips as she signaled for our clash to begin.

I took that beckoning gesture as a personal challenge. Without hesitation, I dashed forward, launching a series of rapid slashes aimed at her.

However, she effortlessly parried each strike using her powerful legs, her kicks serving as both defense and offense.

As expected, she's skilled. And those legs... they're incredibly distracting.

I gritted my teeth and decided to change tactics. Leaping back, ("Sword Sign: Final Cut!")

In an instant, I vanished into the air, only to reappear directly in front of her, my blade ready to strike. But she reacted swiftly, conjuring a barrier of chi in the shape of a whirlpool to shield herself. She followed up with a powerful kick that resembled the silhouette of a dragon.

The impact sent me reeling as I struggled to regain my balance while airborne.

Before I could fully recover, she unleashed a barrage of chi bullets with a skillful move known as "Chi Sign 'Star Pulse Bullets'!" I reacted instinctively, cutting through the bullets with precision, and landing gracefully on the ground.

A smirk danced across her lips. "That was a good attempt, Shun."

"You were holding back, weren't you?"

"Oh? Did you figure it out?"

"Tch... You're still underestimating me."

"Well... You're quite transparent in your fighting style~" Her tone was playful as she gathered Chi into her arms. "Let's see if you can surprise me, Shun."

Her strength was undeniable, and I could feel the challenge in her words.

"It's almost as if... she's just treating me like a training dummy," I muttered to myself, observing Meiling's relentless parrying of my attacks. "Alright..." I activated my stopwatch, its radiant red glow signaling my resolve. "I'll be counting on you."

I dashed forward, launching a barrage of consecutive slashes. Despite my efforts, each strike was deftly parried by Meiling, showcasing her impressive skill.

But then, she shifted her tactics. She unleashed a high-speed punch, followed by a series of chi balls. Her fists then began to shine with chi, hinting at an impending powerful move.

"That's an opening..."

She threw a final powerful punch, but before it could reach me, I vanished through the air, reappearing at my original position. Her confusion was evident.

"Shun... What did you do?"

"I wonder~" I dashed forward once more,

"Sword Sign: Executing Horizontal Square."

But she wasn't done either. She leaped high, unleashing a spectacular chi-filled kick known as "Chi Sign 'Earth Dragon Sky Dragon Kick'!" It was aimed at plunging me into the ground.

But just before the impact, I vanished again, reappearing back in my original position.

Her expression was a mix of surprise and realization as she crashed into the ground. "Don't tell me, you also have powers like Sakuya."

"I wonder."

"Don't get too confident, Shun..." She dashed toward me, her arms once more shimmering with chi.

"This is my chance." I took a stance, preparing for my next move, "Sword Sign: Whispering Slashes." In an instant, I disappeared from her view, leaving her momentarily bewildered. I reappeared behind her, delivering a swift but impactful cut to her back.

"Agh!"

My maneuver had left its mark, evident from the strain in her movements.

"That was brilliant... But..." A surge of chi erupted from her, enveloping her form. "That's not enough!"

"No, this is the end." I declared, my voice resolute. In a sudden move, I appeared behind her, positioning my youkai silver blade at her throat. "I win."

"Eh? Weren't you in front of me?"

"I was... but not anymore."

"H-How..."

I offered a slight smile, gripping my crimson stopwatch. "It's all thanks to this."

"The crimson stopwatch allows me to manipulate time and space within a limited scope. It's basically like Sakuya but it actually absorbs my blood when using it."

She looked both surprised and impressed, an array of emotions crossing her face.

"It seems I underestimated you, Shun."

"You're not the first to do so."

The tension in the air began to dissipate. Meiling sheathed her chi and smiled at me.

"Alright, Shun. You've proven yourself today."

"Thank you, Meiling. That means a lot coming from you."

"Well then... Off you go now."

"Yeah... I'll need to find out why I'm considered an 'intruder.' But first..." I approached Meiling and gave her a gentle tap, causing her to stumble and fall.

"Take some rest." Before she could fully collapse, I supported her in my arms and carefully laid her down on the ground.

Turning towards the mansion, I made my way inside. However, just as I entered, the door closed behind me, and there stood Sakuya on the grand staircase.

"You've defeated Meiling, I see," she remarked, her voice carrying a mix of observation and acknowledgment.

"Miss Sakuya..."