Chapter 51. The Fall of Leaves and Man

Start from the beginning

"You should just date me, Kallen!" he asserted.

I gave him a bored look. "You're not my type."

The tavern owner feigned to be hurt. He held his chest dramatically, acting like he had been fatally shot. Jesus, why do I keep meeting guys like this who are so extra? They're dominating the world.

"Mind telling me your type, then?" He curiously probed. "I'd like to know in which department I lost. Is it my muscles? You like them bigger?"

In deep thought, I slumped back on my chair.

"Someone with ebony black hair and purple eyes." I described earnestly. "And talented in magic, too."

Silence ensued on our table. When I lifted my gaze to my company, Ashen looked so dumbfounded, like he didn't expect me to give such a serious answer. A few seconds after, he grinned.

"That's oddly specific." The tavern owner crossed his legs. "Heh, I smell an unforgettable past love."

Before he could even pry further, I chugged down the whole mug of beer in one go. After finishing it straight, I slammed the mug on the table and grabbed the photo of the perverted nobleman.

"I'll take this." I said sharply, changing the subject.

"Go ahead." Ashen smiled from ear to ear.

And so, I left the Solstice with a heavy heart.

It's already been half a year since I woke up in this body, but the memory of his death remains vivid on my mind. It's almost like a thorn on my chest.

There were no clouds tonight, as if they were erased from the skies. If only I could erase you from my mind just like that as well. Good grief.

"Haniel," I whispered sentimentally, clouds forming on the air each time I breathed out.

As I stood rooted to my position, a woman and a child walked on the opposite street hand in hand. My eyes kept following them with a lifeless gaze.

"Mom," The little boy cried. "I'm hungry!"

"Yes, yes. We'll be having dinner at home."

I quietly watched them as they grew smaller from my sight. When they made a turn and disappeared, I gently caressed my tummy.

Little boy, I envy you. I wish I were just hungry, too. My stomach is full, but my heart is so damn empty.

I still haven't come to terms with it. The fact that I lost Haniel and my unborn child in a single night.

I cannot even sleep properly. That day haunts me in my sleep just as it does when I am fully awake.

And every time I am reminded of it all, my resentment towards Alistair grows as well.

The rage in my heart seems impossible to melt.

---

After that, I just needed to blow off some steam.

I've been in this body for six months. Since then, I have faithfully committed to the role that was given to me. At first it was difficult, but I had no choice but to adapt into this sordid way of life.

I was so tired of trying to change the novel.

And I lost any desire to meddle with the plot.

So I simply focused on committing to my role.

"Found you." I mumbled to myself when I saw Baron Fletcher entering a private casino, who seemed to have no company with him, luckily.

I spent the last few days studying his daily routine.