Chapter Three

⚖

You were helping Sol close up the pastry shop when a man entered the shop, looking to buy something. He glances at you with a curious expression before brightly greets him, asking how she could help him. You continue wiping down the counters as Sol heads beyond the payment counter to help him.

"I'm looking to buy fresh bread." The man says evenly.

Ding!

You stop what you're doing, a sudden feeling of panic crosses your features as you turn your head slightly to get a good look at the man. He was wearing an all black attire, something that really wasn't all that concerning, but considering there have been reports of aggravated assault happening in the area with the added fact that he was lying about wanting to buy fresh bread, you couldn't help but feel like his intentions weren't strictly pure of mind.

"Well, we sold out in the afternoon, but I do have some croissants that were made this morning." Sol offers before adding, "And a few sweetbreads as well–all made fresh this morning."

The man breathes out a deep sigh. "I just wanted bread." He mumbles out.

Ding!

"What time does your shop close?" He asks.

"We close at 7PM on weekdays, 5PM on weekends." Sol replies brightly.

"That's good to know." He murmurs. He looks at the bread Sol had in her hands before shaking his head, leaving the shop without another word.

"They can't all be friendly." Sol comments with a sigh as she places the breads in her hand back in the basket.

"Do you live close by?" You ask Sol, still a little on edge from the man who had been in here last.

"Just around the corner." She replies before adding, "I usually walk to and from work since it's so close."

Your apprehension seems to grow the more you realize that Sol will be heading back home alone.

"Maybe tonight, I'll help you carry the spare bread back to your place." You offer.

Sol waves you off. "There's not much to carry. You go and head home when you're done."

You exhale a deep sigh. You don't want to unnecessarily worry her since you can't, for certain, that the guy who came in was the one assaulting people in the neighborhood.

"Does your brother live with you?" You ask, unable to shake the eerie feeling from your bones.

She nods her head. "Yeah, but he works in the evening at a bar downtown."

Dammit, I don't wanna send her on her way and something happens.

As you and Sol finish the last of the closing tasks, you swiftly grab the bag she carries the leftover pastries in and head out the door. Sol gives you a quizzical look.