Prologue

⚖

You never asked for this gift–a gift that felt more like a curse. It wasn't something that you pride yourself on–to hear the lies someone says, creating a loud ringing in your ears whenever false words are uttered around you. Most days, you wish you could cut your ears off, to silence the world around you because everyone lies.

Ever since you were a child, you had heard the sharp ringing in your ears. When you had told your mother, she assumed you were going deaf, but that was hardly the case. Many specialists in the field have proven otherwise–your hearing was fine.

The ringing would persist, driving you nearly insane before you came to the conclusion that it was simply due to overhearing lies. Whether well intentioned or not, the ringing would sound off in your ears, jarring and obnoxious, as if someone had rattled a cabinet of pots and pans in your head.

Your parents had first thought you were going insane, and even you had thought that at first, but with your strong sense of morals, embedded in your blood since infancy, you had a gut feeling that insanity was not what you were experiencing. When you made peace with that, a bittersweet acceptance that your life will never be normal, you had been unusually singular about who you were around.

Overly optimistic people tend to use white lies to sugarcoat their deception. Though well-intentioned, it still left behind a migraine due to the ringing that persisted. Uncommonly pessimistic people often chose lying as a way to hide away their true selves or to hurt someone they didn't like. It made the list of people you could tolerate dwindling into a small pool where your only comfort was to find a place in which speaking was not needed.

"A library?" Yoongi, your only friend, questions in a listless tone.

Yoongi, your best friend since middle school, was a man of few words. You were able to befriend him for this long simply because he rarely speaks, and when he does, he never lies–at least not to you.

"It was either that or working at a daycare, and I've been told I come off as abrasive." You reply mirroring his tone. "Besides, the gig requires very little talking–a plus in my eyes."

Yoongi hums in agreement, nodding his head slowly. "When do you start?"

"Tomorrow afternoon." You reply.

"Sounds exciting." He says sarcastically, encouraging a sharp ding to sound off in your head.

You narrow your eyes at him, earning a half-hearted chuckle. Yoongi was probably the only person who knew the extent of your so-called gift. He never pestered you about the details. In Yoongi fashion, he simply accepted it.

"You sure you don't wanna apply to that bakery you love so much?" He asks.

You had gone to a trade school to pursue a career in fine baking, but it was hard to find a job in that particular field in which you didn't have to deal with people.

"I like the library." You offer with a small shrug of your shoulders.

Yoongi offers another hum. "Well, if it's what you want, then go for it." He says before turning his attention back to his game.

You didn't mind the library. In fact, whenever the outside world felt like it was nothing more than a cacophony of obnoxious ringing, you would find solace in the library. It was the one place in the city where talking was both not required and discouraged. The silence you'd find amongst the stacks of books gave you some peace of mind, something you could rarely find anywhere else.

Yes, I'm adding another story to the lineup

Yes, I'm adding another story to the lineup. I just really wanted a Jimin story with this concept, so I decided to write it. Updates will only be twice a month due to my goal of writing out 10k chapters. The first chapter, when I publish it, isn't 10k but a nice introduction to the story. I hope you get excited for this new addition to my WIP's!

I'll be posting the first chapter tomorrow. 

Thanks for reading!