chapter 26- love and loss

Positive+

Meredith and Derek had just gotten back from their honeymoon, it was the end of their first week home. She was met with a surprise that morning, a positive pregnancy test, she didn't think it would happen that quickly. Knowing her luck she didn't tell anyone yet, not until she got checked by OB.

Addison roamed the hallways of Seattle Grace, it was a slow day, she was thankful though, Henry had been keeping her and Mark up all night. Just as she approached the front door of the NICU to round, she was paged.

911 Exam Room 3

There was blood. A lot of blood. Meredith knew what was happening the second she felt a twinge in her abdomen. Just a few hours ago she was dancing in the bathroom with the positive stick, now she was sobbing in the E.R. She couldn't wait for Addie to answer her page, she dialed her phone.

"Addie, please come now, please." She was hyperventilating, tears streaming down her face.

"Mer? Calm down, tell me what happened." Addison was now speeding to the E.R., she could hear a sense of defeat in Meredith's voice.

"I just...I was pregnant. There's so much blood Addie, please come."

Addison had continued to calm Meredith over the phone until she reached the exam. She knew what was happening. She immediately came to the blonde's side, calming her down so she could hear the full story.

"I found out this morning...and I... I was in my office and something didn't feel right. There was blood trickling down my scrubs." She couldn't continue, describing what had happened felt like constant stabs to the chest. She had lost Derek's baby, their baby.

"Mer, I am going to have to do an ultrasound to see if what we think is happening is actually happening. Should I page Derek?" Addie refused to use the word miscarriage, she knew that would send Meredith into even more tears, not helping either of their cases.

"Can you tell him? I can't...I just...I can't." She was now staring into the wall, trying to ignore the cramping and surges of blood flowing out of her.

"Of course." She paged him 911 to the room, getting ready to explain to her ex-husband what had happened.

"Addie? What's wrong? Why did you page me 911?" He was out of breath, 911 was never good.

"It's Meredith, Derek. She was three five weeks pregnant, she had a miscarriage. You have to comfort her, she thinks it's her fault." She looked at him with sorry eyes as his eyes fell.

"What, she never told me?"

"She just found out this morning, the bleeding started as she was in her office getting ready for the day. Just, support her, she's hurting."

The pair walked into the room, Meredith was lying down face up, her hand across her abdomen, crying softly.

"Meredith, i'm here." He instantly got onto the bed with her, holding her hand and telling her that this wasn't her fault. She always blamed herself.

As she felt his embrace it was like a sign that she could release, so she did, tears were flooding her face. She was a fetal surgeon for christ's sake, she was supposed to save babies.

"Meredith, you are currently having a miscarriage. We are going to have to move out of the exam room into the OB wing to do the D & C. Derek do you want to go grab her a wheelchair?"

"Sure, i'll be right back baby." He kissed her forehead and rushed out of the room grabbing the nearest wheelchair, it was starting to hit him that she was pregnant, but he couldn't breakdown now. He had to be there for her.