chapter 2- helpless

"hey cristina do you wanna go out later, i'm not on call," meredith was practically begging at this point, she was living in the hospital the whole week due to endless amounts of consults and surgeries, from brain tumors to liver cancer, she was almost sick of surgery. "yeah sure but i'm on call at 6am so not too late." cristina gave in knowing meredith hadn't left the hospital in what almost felt like two years.

      as meredith changed from her scrubs to streets, a no caller id was ringing her phone, she was puzzled at first but decided to pick up. she thought to herself, "why would a 617 number be calling i don't even live in Boston"

"hello is this meredith grey?"

"yes this is she speaking."

"hi, this is chief hunter calling from Mass General hospital, we are concerned about your mother and the state she has been in for the past few months."

"ok, why are you asking me? we haven't contacted each other ever since i moved away"

"i'm sorry, you were her emergency contact so we thought you would know something."

"it's fine, what do you mean her "state""

"well your mother has suddenly stopped operating in march and when we tried to talk to her she addressed me as richard webber."

"umm well she used to work with him but i don't know why she would do that, i can try and call her later but i cannot promise you."

"okay thank you very much, have a great day."

"same to you."

meredith left the hospital in confusion and entered her 911 Porsche Carrera S and drove off to the local pub she would meet cristina at.

"hey mer i ordered us two tequilas," cristina announced as meredith took a seat at the bar.

"thanks, i need it."

"are you ok? you seem a little disoriented."

"yeah yeah i just got a really weird phone call from my mom's hospital saying that she's been acting weird."

"well what did you say?"

"i told them i would call her, but i haven't called that bitch since i moved here."

"good luck, maybe she's changed and isn't a bitch anymore" 

"in my dreams." meredith sighed as she signaled for two more shots

the pair parted ways, cristina went back to the hospital to spend time in the lab while meredith went home to try and reach her mother. it was currently 10 pm in the UK and 5pm in Boston, meredith decided to call now knowing she was going to fall into a deep sleep soon. her hands were shaky as she typed the dreaded numbers into her phone.

"hello?" a very stern but memorable voice echoed through the phone, meredith shivered at the voice as it brought back terrible memories of lectures ellis used to give to her as a child.

"hello, is this ellis grey?"

"yes, who is this?"

"mother, i received a call from the chief at Mass Gen and he informed me that you have stopped practicing medicine."

"i have meredith, i hate to spill all of this terrible information on you out of the blue but i have to, i have been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. i stopped performing surgery and i named you my health care proxy."

the other line fell silent as meredith felt a myriad of emotions. she didn't know how to respond, why would her mother, who resented her all her life, give her control of every medical decision that would have to be possibly made for her?

"are you kidding me? i was the one who raised myself and made me who i am, yet you're gonna rely on me to care for you? this is ridiculous, i'm sorry i can't agree to do this."

"meredith please hear me out, it will be very easy, everything is stated in my will i filled out when i was first diagnosed. i reserved a spot for myself at Roseridge nursing home in Seattle, my medical preferences are all listed in my will. you are the only person i have left, i have cut all ties with everyone except you. please, you will inherit all of my money, just do this for me."

"i have a whole life in the UK mother, i can't just pack it up and leave to care for you. you realize i would have to restart my whole career because i don't have an american medical license."

"well i wish i had better news. i will arrange a seat for you on a plane to pick me up and transport me to Seattle.  the house will be all yours, i can call richard webber to enroll you in the internship program at Seattle Grace. i will email you the information regarding my will, the plane tickets, and if richard agreed with my proposal. goodbye meredith."

"but-"

the phone instantly stopped projecting the evil voice into meredith's ear. a sudden urge of misery filled her body as she tossed her phone across the room. how was she just going to start over? her life was here in London, not in Seattle. everything she worked for was just going to get discarded into a void of emptiness. her mother gave her no out, she felt helpless.

---------------------------------------------------------------

2/27/21

sorry for leaving you at this point lol. i apologize for uploading rly late at night, writing at this time of day just gets the brain juices flowing. anyways, i plan on writing the next chapter during SAT prep tmrw so hopefully ill update earlier. don't forget to vote and comment<3

- H.L.