Over time, (Y/N) began to leave the clearing with a renewed energy, rather than excessive fatigue. She felt the alien power in her system gradually meld with the rest of her soul, weaving through her being and finding a growing welcome there.

The progress was a nice sense of achievement amidst the ever-present reminder of her inevitable failures.

"(Y/N)!"

She sighs, opening her eyes. Footsteps thud from behind her, but she doesn't look at Julius as he bounds up to her side.

He was another complication—slight as it may be.

Since her arrival at Camp Jupiter, he had been insistent on being in her presence. He would sit by her at mealtimes, constantly ask for her feedback, adjust his training schedule to align with hers, approach her with the dismay of not having a sparring partner so that she would assist him. It was all too familiar.

It was what Luke had done.

And much like Luke, Julius couldn't seem to interpret the meaning behind (Y/N)'s indifference. She longed to play the one card that he would immediately retreat from, but she couldn't. Not when he would ask questions. Not when he was a person she was sworn to keep Percy's—and the entirety of Camp Half-Blood's—existence a secret from.

"That was really impressive," Julius says, sticking his hands in his pockets as he walks in step with her.

She presses her lips into a smile. "Thanks."

"How did you know to spin out of the way like that? His side wasn't even open for an attack, but the moment you moved there, it was unguarded."

(Y/N) shrugs. "I don't know."

Julius scoffs. "Funny. But seriously, how—?"

"I'm being serious," (Y/N) interrupts, glancing at him. "I don't know. It was instinct. Nothing more."

His eyebrows twitch together. "That's . . . huh." He tilts his head at her. "That doesn't seem normal. Is everything okay?"

If he hadn't been entirely clueless about what was really going on, (Y/N) would have burst into laughter.

Oh, sure! I just can't go home to my family because I was shown to kill them, and to top it all off, I'm reminded of it by everything and everyone every single day. So yes, life has been absolutely perfect!

Her teeth ache from the force she clenches them together with. "Yeah," she huffs, forcing another smile. "I'm just tired. Thanks for your concern, though." She stops, turning to Julius and reaching over to pat his elbow. "You're a good friend."

A slight twinge of guilt pokes at her heart when Julius's expression falls. He quickly puts it back together, but shadows continue to swirl in his eyes.

"Oh, um, yeah," he stammers, pulling his shoulders back. "Just . . . let me know if I can do anything to help."

(Y/N) steps away. "I'll be fine," she assures. "Thanks."

As she turns to leave, his figure weakens. She ignores the regret that tries to diffuse into her system.

A dull tug works aimlessly at her chest, searching and stretching and screaming for the one person who wasn't there. And as was typical, her heart yearns for her steps to carry her back home to him.

— x —

Percy's heartbeat was dull.

He could scarcely feel the thuds in the hollow of his chest, could hardly tell that he was still alive.