Chapter 45 - Rescue Mission

Magsimula sa umpisa

"No," Izuku choked out. The first time he succeeded in something in front of him, the first time he made him realize that he had potential, that he had the heart of a hero and the mindset to back it up. He couldn't have actually felt that just now, could he? Their mission was a mess, Izuku didn't even do all that much- They were barely even able to secure Eri! And at least one of the neighbors had to have called the authorities, they weren't out of the woods just yet, not if they left anything behind. Which they couldn't check because they had to leave in such a hurry and Eri was crying and now-

"Midoriya," he called out, taking a step closer as Izuku took a step back. "Put Eri down, you're shaking."

He was right. Izuku hadn't noticed his body had started to panic, that his breath was coming in short superficial puffs, or that he was quite literally trembling on his legs. It was a good thing Aizawa took Eri when he did, because he crumbled to the ground not even a second later.

"It's alright. Come, look at me," Aizawa said, pressing onto his shoulders so he would stay upright. "Breathe. Come on Midoriya, you can do it. Just take a deep breath like this-"

He took a deep breath, holding it a few seconds before letting out a long exhale. He grabbed Izuku's hand, pressing it to his chest, as if to make sure Izuku was following his instructions, as if he didn't know how to breathe. He did. He'd been alive for so long, it was kinda ridiculous he'd forget how to do such a basic thing, right? And yet... Yet panic made someone do weird things, didn't it? Because Izuku didn't know how to breathe. He could feel Aizawa's chest move, could feel his own heart beat so rapidly- and yet his breaths were short and shallow and his lungs burned.

"Listen to my voice, focus on the rhythm," Aizawa continued. "You're safe, you're okay. You just have to breathe."

Safe, ha, what a joke! It was clear sensei remembered, that Izuku was doomed, that his plan had failed. Again. His plan failed again. Just like all his other plans, just like every single thing he'd tried ever since this mess started. It didn't matter if the others were in the know or if they involved more people- No, it always seemed to turn out like this. Failure. Izuku's chest tightened up and he could hear the doctor's first words ringing in the back of his mind, mocking him.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen kid."

As if telling him he'd never succeed. That no matter what he did, he'd always go back to that pearly white room. No matter what he tried, he'd always wake up to those spotless tiles, to the soft fabric of an old plushie. And every time it happened, he would be told how worthless he was. No quirk, no chance. Just a useless kid trying his best. Trying and failing over and over and over and over and-

"Izuku!" Aizawa snapped, momentarily pulling him out of his downward spiral. "Breathe."

Breathe.

Right.

He was supposed to breathe.

Izuku took a shaky breath, clenching his fists around the fabric of Aizawa's shirt. His heartbeat was erratic, blood rushing through his ears, making it hard to actually listen to anything going on around him. Hearing. Senses. Right, the trick. To help him calm down. How did it go again? Izuku's mind was in shambles, trying to puzzle the pieces together and failing horribly. Failing, like he failed at everything else in life. Aizawa seemed to know exactly what was happening though, because he took over the reins with no struggle at all.

"Izuku, listen to me," he demanded. "Tell me about five things you can see. Can you do that? Can you talk to me?"

Izuku nodded, noticing his vision was blurry with tears. When had he started crying..?