LXIX. who we love is so limited

Start from the beginning

"Go get them, we gotta get back. We need to be there is they come looking for you or Daryl, not letting him get his hands on Luke or Levi next." Rick didn't realize how much he took to the boys already. Not just as members of Alexandria, but family. Austin saw it, Michonne saw it. They shared a gentle smile.

"You don't have to go back yet." Jesus stopped him as he held up the small radio. "It's one of theirs, long range. We can listen in, keep track of them."

"So, if we're not going back, what we doing, then?" Michonne asked, a curious look on her face.

"Austin!" Natalie's voice caught their attention, she came running from behind the gates with Cyndie and Archie not far behind her. He caught her, barley having to bend down to hug her. "I'm s-"

"Don't worry about it." he cut her off with a wide smile, kissing the top of her head. "Don't you ever do something like that again. I mean it. When we get home....you're gonna be washing wine glasses ever night until you're eighteen."

Natalie smiled, pride filling her just to know he was alive and scolding her. "You got it."

"Hey there, Rude Boy!" Archie laughed as he practically skipped over to him, wrapping his arm around his shoulders. "And he sees another day!"

"How'd they meet again?" Enid whispered toward Carl.

"Pin pals over the radio." Maggie answered.

"I knew I should have just left you on that beach." Cyndie gave him a look of pure disbelief, shaking her head. "Would have avoided all this extra drama."

"Oh, come on. You know you'd be bored without me." he gave her a side smile, winking in her direction and bumping her shoulder with his.

"I think it's time we introduce you to Ezekiel." Jesus spoke toward Rick, looking over at Archie as the blue eyed boy gave a minor smirk. "King Ezekiel."

Rick rose his eyebrows in disbelief. "King?"

"King." Archie confirmed as he began to lead the way out the fence. "You'll get to meet that Maverick of mine, too. Fair warning....don't look her in the eye. Got a shovel to the neck last time I did that."

"Sounds like a show." Daryl scoffed at the kid he spoke up, already finding he'd obnoxious.

"Maverick?" Natalie frowned her eyebrows.

"Archie's silent girl." Austin answered. "Deadly, apparently."

"Apparently." Cyndie agreed as the two walked side by side, she looking over at the harsh bruise on Austin's jawline. "He hurt you?"

Austin took a double take over at her, Cyndie nodded to his jaw. He'd gotten use to the throbbing feeling by now, where the baseball bat had hit him. He could tell his jaw had gotten slightly loose and his back teeth were wiggly, but there were more important things at stack. Cyndie noticed the barbwire markings that were close by. "That son of a bitch."

"I expected it to be a lot worse." Austin spoke to her honestly, the leaves crunching under their feet. He made sure Natalie was well before them, walking with Carl and Enid. "I know it's obvious by now, but I really don't think there's any other option than to kill him, Cyndie. He's not gonna stop until he gets exactly what he wants. Based off what I saw and heard while I was there, it's not a place for any of us. Girls forced into marriage and sex with him, men under his boot like little servants. It's sick, but that's what he wants."

"I know your Dad wants to kill him, Maggie too." Cyndie agreed. "I mean, I even want him dead and we're strictly about letting people survive from my community. Show mercy. But for him...all I can do is see my little brothers face."