Chapter 22

Notes: The Russian rebel front will control a good chunk of Siberia, but Putin will still have control over the West and Far East of Russia. Within the Siberian Military District, Omsk will have a major Russian bank to help fund outside aid for the rebels, and large cities such as Yekaterinburg will contain military bases. Other things the rebels will possess include Russian missile silos, oil, and mines in the region... Russian Civil War II has begun!

Up next will be OTMA giving a major speech in the Church of All Saints in Yekaterinburg. This church is a memorial for their family massacre in both real life and this alternate reality.

December 18, 2022

Petrozavodsk, (Disputed Territory)

Father Leo had seen much in his forty-five years on earth. He had grown up in the twilight of the USSR, seen the birth of the Russian Federation, and most of all the infamous "Romanov Resurrection". He had also had many hardships, especially being excommunicated from his family church in Moscow. Now he stood as a major leader in the Petrozavodsk Rebel Division.

He had many responsibilities now, but the rest paled in comparison to his most important mission. To help the Romanov sisters escape to Yekaterinburg. After various options were considered by fellow leaders, the four sisters would leave for the train station. Air travel was riskier, and the armored trucks would not have enough gas to travel the lengthy freeway to Yekaterinburg. Also, the armored trucks would help transport any defenseless residents to the nearby train station.

He stepped into the City Hall lobby, spotting the four Grand Duchesses packing their few belongings into travel bags. With two other soldiers, he approached them.

"The tank convoy is advancing faster, Your Risen Highnesses, and our outposts have been decimated. According to our brief reports, they have not only tanks, but aircraft as well..."

"Thank you, Father Leo, for your help," Olga spoke, her tone solemn.

"I know where I will be and what I will do. Do not feel saddened... For the sacrifice of my life will serve the greater good."

"What of your friend Boris?"

"He will fight beside me."

"A good friend... It reminds me of those brave soldiers we nursed a long time ago. I also wish we could have gotten more familiar with each other, Father Leo. Your bravery and sharp mind are commendable."

The priest nodded, closing his eyes for a moment. "Before you and your sisters go with your companions, especially the Anton boy..."

Olga blushed, smiling. She glanced at the hands of the priest, which held a smaller icon of the Theotokos. She gasped, putting her hands on her mouth.

"I know this will not replace the one you all had earlier, but please, take this as a gift."

"We are all very grateful for all you've done... Even what you've given to us."

"I second that... But I wanted to know if the train goes directly to Yekaterinburg," Tatiana asked.

"Yes, yes."

Father Leo glanced behind him, where Anton stood straight and tall besides his fellow entrusted soldiers. All of them saluted the four women before them, acknowledging their significance to their cause. The priest did too before he headed out past the soldiers and Anton.

Olga watched the priest head off into a group of soldiers and civilians until his robes disappeared among jackets, dresses, and bulletproof vests. It felt poignant, knowing that they got along well with the priest as if he were an old friend- Only to be torn away from this principled, brave man.