Chapter 4

Within two days of the resurrection, the news had spread at an astonishing speed across all media. Again, the past had returned to haunt the unaware and living. First Russia had known of this shocking miracle. But through a few undercover, foreign reporters and spies, the news escaped around the world. All hell broke loose... for the politicians and scholars.

And as with all miracles, people either believed it or doubted it. Most of the average people doubted it. Neither would the average person understand until they searched Wikipedia for the Romanov royals and their extended relatives. The other popular Romanov reference site, the alexanderpalace.org website crashed for the first time. Within two days, European history academia complained to Wikipedia by the thousands about the terrible loading times! An announcement on the popular reference site apologized for the poor service and acknowledged that it was "a difficult situation".

But one thing stayed the same. The awe and shock of seeing the infamous Grand Duchesses somehow return from beyond the grave had caught worldwide attention.

Now, it was only a matter of time before political leaders and figureheads would make their official statements under the endless barrage of questions on their social media.

July 20, 2022

Alexander Palace, Russia

Putin had to disable commenting on his VK account. The curious comments and internet trolls had come by the tens of thousands, annoying the Russian president. Whenever his phone buzzed incessantly, he sometimes felt pissed. But deep inside his cunning patriotism, he was giddy with an impish glee. He felt like a kid who got his favorite toys for Christmas!

To chuckle and mutter "heck yes" in Russian, while dancing a little jig would not be appropriate for public announcements. Neither would blasting EDM for a patriotic music show be appropriate for the time. But he had to admit that was fine for the pomp and circumstance.

Now, he had Russia and its allies firmly in his hands. Belarus had some internal controversy over the return of the monarchist figures, but they had to admit that the Romanov sisters would improve Russian morale during the war.

He stopped dancing. The clacking of his polished black boots on the wooden floors of the main hall ceased. He needed a quieter moment to gather his composure.

The Russian president checked his watch. He still had time to calm his excitement. First, he needed to check on the small group of Romanov pretenders with the four sisters. He headed to the left wing of the former imperial residence, finding Olga and her sisters talking with their current relatives.

Prince Rotislav had struck up a conversation with Olga. The sight of both a past figure and a modern person speaking seemed bizarre at first. Something about seeing the two parts of a family, separated by time and fate, meeting just felt heartwarming.

The president moved on to check the other three sisters, unaware of another conversation. Olga and Rotislav had their own disagreements.

"Russia is a part of us... our heart, our soul."

"Frankly, it tried to slaughter our family before," Olga said, scoffing.

"Maybe we might have made mistakes, but we should not betray Russia in her hour of need. That would be something terrible to do, Ol- Your Highness. A virtuous person never leaves their dear thing to rot."

"Well, I still feel uncomfortable here. I have no clues why my sisters and I returned. And, I have no understanding of who I am anymore. I feel like we are pawns in a morbid game," Olga said, turning away to sigh..

"At least you have another chance to live and discover the potential within yourself. I remember reading that you were the more intellectual one. And as much as I wish the throne would return, Putin is fine. He will not hurt any of you."