Chapter 16

November 16, 2022

Wolfsgarten Lodge, Hessen, Germany

If there was one thing that Olga knew as she woke up, she stayed up too late celebrating her twenty-third birthday. She was not a drinker or smoker at all during her new life. She did play board games with her sisters and cousin Elisabeth for hours. One thing she realized was that she enjoyed Monopoly much like chess. That would be another thing she had to enjoy within the modern world. In some ways, she enjoyed her new life. In some ways, there were traces of the old life she once lived...

She had seen the former royal residence of her life: the Alexander Palace. Now it was a museum in the process of being reinstated as an semi-official residence for the Romanovs. They would not regain their political power except for remaining as figureheads like other modern royalty. She felt safe again.

She had found love with a soldier assigned to protect something of hers... Her former tomb. It felt strange, but she was grateful that she had found love at last with someone. Anton was a responsible "guy", really. He also had a bright mind like hers. Their conversations in person would just go on and on for a couple hours. She felt loved again.

She had finally been reunited with her childhood playmate and very best friend. Poor Elisabeth had died from typhoid fever before her ninth birthday, but she had matured in heaven. Now her best friend was there to guide her and her sisters. No longer would she feel lost again!

Olga got off her bed to check her iPhone again. Her boyfriend had texted her!

She smiled, thinking about how she had last seen him at the U.N center in New York City. It had been a while...

Anton: Olenka, how are you doing? It's been a while, and I miss talking to you... Life has gotten crazy back home. Putin is hated now. Many protests and street fights.

Olga froze still, feeling the familiar coil of dread sinking within her. She lost her smile, thinking about how she missed him. She even felt worried about him.

Olga: I am doing alright. Just turned 23 yesterday... Stay strong, and may God watch over you. I will be back soon, love. <3

Anton: Thank you. I will pray for your safety... See you soon.

She smiled. She turned off the phone screen and stared at the pitch black surface for some time. Her mind was stuck on thinking about Anton, and fears of him getting arrested or harmed by Putin came. She felt unsure of what would be best done about his situation...

Until she glanced at her Bible on her nightstand... She really needed some reassurance from God that even trouble would resolve in the end. He had a plan. Even if she would struggle or stray away, His light would still be there for her. A verse from the Book of Philippians came to mind...

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God...

For the first time since her time at the Sandringham House, she prayed for many things. The welfare of her boyfriend. Her future and her faith. Her beloved sisters and Elisabeth. Even those that hated them and did not understand.

She felt closer to God as she spent some time praying, and this brought her a sense of comfort. It was a comfort that she had not felt for a long time since doing so with her late father or mother at the palace. She felt almost closer to her parents in spirit.

The prayer was concluded, and Olga remained on her bed to settle her mind. The door was still closed, and she wondered if her sisters or cousin had gotten up. It would not be wrong to check on them. The day would still go on.