frank's realization

- currently working on another chpt for you my lovelies

chapter 19; Frank's Realization

Jinx didn't have time to process what had just happened.

There were so many things unsaid that she needed a moment to herself. Pausing time in the middle of a battle to process a moment between her and a boy was not okay. She had to convince herself that she needed to reserve her energy for serious moments. Taking a little break to escape to her own world and leaving her friends the way they were was not cool.

The entire cavern shuddered and snapped Jinx back into her present situation. Dividing the cavern was a new fifteen-meter-wide chasm, spanned only by two rickety stretches of bone flooring. The bulk of the monster army was on the opposite side, howling in frustration and throwing whatever they could find, including each other. Some attempted to cross the bridges, which creaked and crackled under their weight.

Jason, Piper, Jinx, and Nico stood on the near side of the chasm, which was good, but they were surrounded by a ring of Cyclopes and hellhounds. More monsters kept pouring in from the side corridors, while gryphons wheeled overhead, undeterred by the crumbling floor.

Jinx turned to Jason, holding his gaze. As of right now, they were possibly the best out of their group of four. With Jason's training and fighting skills, and Jinx's powerful ability they could hold them off for a while.

"There's too many for us." Piper backed away from creeping monsters. "Jinx, can't you freeze time and allow us to move freely?"

She thought about it for a moment until Nico said, "No. The undead are here and Jinx's ability doesn't work against them. And she can't do more than one person at a time, we'd just be spending her energy. Plus, it's not like she can fly over that."

He pointed the scepter at the crack diving Hazel, Leo, and Frank from them. Nico looked at Jason. He seemed to have sensed Nico's question because he shook his head.

"We'd be shot out of the air."

"Nico!" Frank yelled. "The scepter."

Nico raised Diocletian's scepter, and the cavern air shimmered purple. Ghosts climbed from the fissure and seeped from the walls—an entire Roman legion in full battle gear. They began taking on physical form, like walking corpses, but they seemed confused.

"Are you fucking kidding me." Jinx deadpanned. It was like a comical joke being played on her.

Jason yelled in Latin, ordering the ghostly soldiers to form ranks and attack. The undead just shuffled among the monsters, causing momentary confusion, but that wouldn't last.

Jinx stumbled back. If she was ever allergic to anything, the undead was on top of the list.

She gripped onto Jason's arm, sweating profusely and growing paler. Her sword clattered to the ground, forgotten in her sudden change in health.

"What's going on?" Jason asked partly because of Jinx and because of the disobedient soldiers. He wrapped an arm around her waist and propped her against his body.

Piper grabbed a rag from her back pocket and crouched down to face Jinx. She gently wiped her sweat away, "gods, you're becoming as pale as Nico."

Nico rolled his eyes, watching as Frank spoke to Hazel and Leo. His eyes widened as an onslaught of rocks slammed overhead.

Frank dove for cover whilst the others were trapped on the other side.

Nico formed his hands into a fist. He shoved Piper aside, if he couldn't protect his sister, he'd protect his cousin.