Crack the Code

chapter seventeen; Crack the Code

JINX DIDN'T know how Hazel did it. 

She stared at them and said, "I'll be back soon. Give me ten minutes. If you don't hear from me by then...Never mind. I'll be fine. Just try not to kill each other while I'm down there."

Then Hazel dropped into the small squared hole. Leo and Frank tried their best to block the hole and Hazel falling in from other's views by standing side by side and covering it. They attempted to look casual, but Jinx found herself wanting to laugh at the ridiculous height difference between the two. 

Jinx could never do what Hazel did. She hated being underground in a giant building that is not exactly surpassing every safety test. 

Frank gave a cautious glance towards Jinx and that was enough to have her scurry away and admire something different. She could tell that he still didn't trust her, and he obviously had something secretive to tell Leo that he didn't want Jinx hearing. It was best that she moved away for a bit. 

Jinx leaned to look at a statue closer, faking interest to fit in with the crowd. She yawned, patting her mouth lightly. 

"This looks old." She muttered to herself. 

She turned to look at another statue, but saw Frank and Leo frantically waving her over and then pointing behind her. Jinx looked behind herself and tried to see what they were seeing. She couldn't focus when both boys were trying to get her attention. 

Jinx made eye contact with three angry Americans that she obviously hadn't noticed before. She made her way to the boys, gesturing behind her, "who-?"

 "Eidolons!" Frank said in a tone that suggested they should run at that very moment. 

But Jinx felt entranced with their beautiful golden eyes. It's not something you see every day, she wanted to take a moment to admire it.

"They can't fit down the hole," Leo said more to himself than the others. 

"Underground is sounding really good." Frank agreed. 

Jinx opened her mouth to protest. She really couldn't do that. Not when she was already so iffy about the entire operation. They weren't even supposed to be doing any type of recon. 

But Jinx blinked and Frank was a snake, slithering inside of the squared hole, and Leo was pushing her in when the so-called Eidolons started chanting "Valdez! Kill Valdez!"

Jinx had to agree that it was a good reason to run away.

As soon as they were in, or rather under, the hatch to the hole latched closed.

She stayed on the ground, facing the crumbling ceiling. "Friends of yours?"

"Yeah, I usually make it my own personal goal to make friends with spirits who want to kill me." Leo said sarcastically, "sleepovers are always interesting." 

Frank, human again, offered her his hand and she took it. "What now?" 

Jinx shrugged. She didn't want to be down here in the first place. That's why she was so fine with Hazel taking one for the team. 

"Don't freak out." Leo started, "but I'm going to summon a little fire, just so we can see."

She didn't know why he had to warn them, Jinx preferred to be able to see. But Frank nodded and said his thanks. 

"Well, it only goes in one direction."

"Let's find Hazel."

Jinx looking longingly at the closed hatch. She missed the fresh air.