Double Date

chapter sixteen; Double Date

LEO WAS amazed that he was able to drag Jinx along with him and Frank and Hazel. Sure, he loved teasing Frank about Leo's nonexistent relationship with Hazel, but he wasn't pleased knowing that he'd be three wheeling them. 

So, with the help of Jinx, in his mind they were on a double date walking down the streets of Rome. 

Being there with Jinx was like a nice little add-on. She had this child-like astonishment towards everything she saw that she then tried to hide, but Leo was paying a seriously creepy amount of attention to her. 

"No offense," Jinx faltered when they all turned to look at her. "But are you sure you know where we're going?" 

Hazel's face took on a pained expression, "I'm sorry." 

Sweat dripped down the back of his neck. Leo was getting impatient. He didn't care that Hazel was trying her best, or that he was with Jinx. His feet hurt and he wanted to take a break. 

"Gods." Leo muttered, yanking Jinx's body from going into oncoming traffic. 

She placed his hands back, "thanks." And then she went back to looking at a random statue. 

"I'd never thought I'd get to see Rome." Hazel admitted. "When I was alive,  I mean the first time, Mussolini was in charge. We were at war."

"Mussolini?" Jinx whispered, staring at an ice cream stand. 

"Wasn't he like BFFs with Hitler?"

Hazel paused and looked at Leo. "BFFs?" 

"Never mind."

"I'd love to see the Trevi Fountain," she said. 

"There's a fountain on every block." Leo retorted, gesturing to the fountain they just passed and the one in the distance. 

"Or the Spanish Steps." Hazel continued. 

"Why would you come to Italy to see Spanish steps?" Leo asked. "That's like going to China for Mexican food, isn't it?"

"No." Jinx rolled her eyes. "I've been to China before." Though it wasn't on purpose.

Leo looked at her and they locked eyes for what felt like the longest time. 

There was a lot of that happening. A lot of unsaid things happening between them. And Leo questioned every single one. He understood that she was a fragile person, and that he was someone that didn't openly express their feelings. 

That whatever was going on or would go on, they would need to communicate. Something they both needed to work on. 

He snapped out of it when Hazel said, "you're hopeless."

"So I've been told."

Hazel turned and grabbed Frank's hand, "come on. I think we should go this way."

Leo looked at Jinx expectantly. 

"What? Do you expect me to take your hand too?" She scoffed, turning away. "No thanks." 

He knew he should be hurt, but he anticipated for this to happen. Instead of being hurt, he smiled and fell into step with her. 

Hazel stopped in front of a building that he suspected was a church and Leo wanted to cry in relief. His feet felt like they were on fire, which was weird because he's immune to fire. 

Jinx collapsed on the steps, "I cheated getting here." She said before anyone else could start talking. 

"What d'ya mean?" Leo asked.