Little Spoon

chapter one; Little Spoon

JINX LIED awake in the middle of the night.

A habit that was not as usual as it might seem for her.

Maybe it was the snores that came from Coach Hedge's mouth, or snout, whatever the word was. Maybe it was the feeling that something weird was around the corner. Then again, when one was a demigod, weird was always around the corner.

Huffing in annoyance, Jinx sat up, mumbling to sleeping Hedge that she was going to get a sleeping pill or gummy from the sick bay.

She swung the door open, half expecting to bump into Percy and have one of their nightly conversations but was rudely reminded that he fell into the pit of Tartarus and would not be coming back any time soon.

The thought startled her.

Talking to herself on the way, Jinx stepped into the sick bay immediately feeling someone's presence. She brushed it off, thinking it was probably the strong energy Athena's statue had. It for sure had some strong calling to it, because they were being attacked by all sorts of things.

Jinx pressed herself against the ship's wall to get past Athena's toes and to the cabinet filled with all sorts of medical things. She squinted her eyes at the bottles, picking up two that looked like melatonin.

"Man, I can't see shit." She whispered, bringing one bottle closer to her eyes.

"Maybe I can help?"

The voice was so sudden and casual that it made her drop the two bottles, but they didn't fall to the ground, and the boy didn't catch them- he wasn't that smooth. Jinx had accidentally stopped time, but she didn't need to turn around to see who had spoken.

It had become a sound that she committed to memory. Slowly, she turned around, letting time run its course.

Leo reacted to the pill bottles dropping and fell to the ground to pick them up. He laughed nervously, "can't sleep?" He looked up, meeting her gaze.

Her words caught in her throat, and everything she wanted to say, she couldn't.

Jinx and Leo hadn't been left alone since their kiss.

And they hadn't talked about it. They hadn't discussed what they were and what they were going to do about it. And Jinx was not a confrontational person, she wasn't going to mention it if he wasn't going to.

"Um," Jinx cleared her throat. "Yeah. I'm having trouble sleeping."

"Me too."

Leo stood back up and awkwardly handed her the bottles.

The thought of this being the end of their conversation made her panic. She didn't want it to end so soon.

"So," She dragged the word out. "What are you doing down here?"

"I was just checkin' out the statue."

Jinx nodded. The statue was a hard thing to miss, being forty foot tall. She sat down and gestured for him to go ahead.

"I can't go to sleep so I might as well watch you try to figure it out." Jinx said when he looked at her in confusion.

He looked at her a little longer and then climbed his way onto Athena's waist and Jinx barked out a laugh. Leo turned his head to look at her, more confused than before.

"What?"

"Well, it's just that I don't think the goddess of wisdom would appreciate you climbing on her body."