34 : Engagement

— N o o r ' s P O V 𖤐

" I have already booked your and nazneen aunty's morning flight tickets, You are coming and I don't wanna hear any excuses got it ! " najma declared sternly on the video call.

" can I directly come on your nikkah day ? please ? " I pleaded out.

Irfan proposed najma couple of days back and najma said yess, so they were going to marry
soon.

I was beyond happy for her. she was marrying her boyfriend of years and the love of her life. I never saw najma this happy before, she was literally glowing and she couldn't stop giggling and smiling. She told me how irfan romantically proposed her on the beach.

She deserves all the love and happiness in the world.

ofcourse i was not going to miss my bestfriend's marriage but it's just that I didn't wanted to go so early, so early in the sense 1 week before. I mean I don't know the thought of going to London somehow makes me uneasy. The engagement was day after tomorrow and after 1 week of engagement there was nikkah.

Najma has been calling me to London since 5 days. But I have been making excuses and changing the topic.

" I swear Noori, I'll come all the way to Pakistan and kick your ass, if I don't find you here next to me by tomorrow. " I heard najma say, making me sigh heavily.

" Najma, I'm really not feeling well you know. I promise I'll be there before 2 days. " I tried one last time to convince her. I saw her throwing fire draggers through her eyes, glaring hard at me in the video call.

" You know what Noor ! Just don't come. " She shouted angrily and disconnected the call before I could say anything.

I rolled my bottom lip between my teeth, closing the laptop. Did I make her upset?
Oh well I surely did. I groaned, fisting my head with both of my hands.

Just then ammi entered my room and sat beside me on the bed. I straighten myself and smiled looking at her. She smiled back and softly patted my head asking a 'what happened'

I told her everything, from how najma had  been calling me to London and how I just made her upset.

She slowly stroked my head and questioned softly. " tell me noor, will you like it if najma only comes on your wedding day ? "

I looked at ammi. chewing on my bottom lip, I shook my head slowly.

" you will want her to be present in all your functions ryt ? " she asked.

I nodded my head slowly. She smiled slightly and continued. " Then do you think najma don't want her bestfriend by her side ? "

I blinked a little. Ammi is so right actually. If najma would even ditch one function of my marriage then I would have not spared her alive and here I was thinking of directly attending her Nikkah like an outsider. When infact she was my family, more than my family.

" But ammi I don't know, I don't feel like going to London—" I started but was interrupted by ammi.

" where is my daughter, who I raised to be strong and bold. Who used to face all the problems bravely. Right now the one I'm talking to, I don't recognise her. She sounding like a weak girl and my noor is anything but weak. " 

My chin wobbled and tears sting my eyes listening to her. I busted out crying, hugging her tightly and keeping my head on her chest.