eleanor paced back and forth through the room repeatedly, waiting for the senior attorneys' approval.

"that's brilliant! ms. atkinson you're second chair."

"yes! thank you mr. bryant."
she shook her hand with him before being entrusted to schedule an appointment with angelina to discuss the strategy and tell her who the assigned attorneys would be.

she got into her private office where she knew nobody could eavesdrop and dialled her number as a lump formed in her throat.

"hey angelina, am i disturbing?"
she asked uncertain as she searched for a cigarette in her coat.

"no, not at all. what's up?"
as soon as angelina glanced at the caller she grew concerned. eleanor never called and that put her on edge.

"we have come up with a strategy for your case and we'd like to discuss that with you. does friday at 11 work for you?" angelina was actually a bit disappointed that she only called for work but it was better than nothing, right?

"perfect."

"okay, and they also assigned the two lawyers who are in charge of the case, and though i already know who they are, it wouldn't be any fun to tell you just now. where would all the suspense go?" she smirked as she loved to tease angelina and she could actually feel her smiling on the other side of the phone.

"you're cruel."
angelina joked as she was dying to know who were the two lawyers who had her future in their hands.

"and that's what makes me an amazing lawyer."
she rolled her eyes at her narcissistic remark.

"we'll see about that."
not knowing that it was her own daughter who figured out the perfect strategy to save her ass.

"do love a challenge. see you on friday," they hung up and eleanor informed her boss about the appointment. somehow she was happy and therefore a genuine smile crept out of her red stained lips.

ˏˋ°•*

"so i heard that right?"
angelina's smile was the biggest and brightest eleanor had ever seen.

"depends on your hearing abilities."
she rolled her eyes while eleanor snickered at her own joke.

"you're gonna be second chair! oh my god, i'm so happy for you!"
without any second thoughts angelina engulfed her eldest daughter into an embrace, eleanor hesitated to reciprocate being the apathetic human she was, but reciprocated anyway. she wrapped her arms tightly around angelina's waist due to the height difference being in favour of eleanor.

"i'd be happier for yourself, you just got the best lawyer out there on board," she smirked and angelina couldn't help but chuckled.

she is so full of herself.

"is that so? then instead of money, as a deposit i'll cook you dinner."
this was just angelina's subtle way to get her back at home and make her meet her siblings and she was sure eleanor got that part too.

"i'd rather have checks, but i never say no to dinner."

"great! see you at mine, 6 pm sharp."