Chapter 6 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Hey, did you see what happened?" Cora asked, making room.

"Um, no... sorry, I think I missed the end of the race," Fez replied in a soft voice. "Should I tell Aran?"

"About Marmorel's kiss?"

"Yes, if you could tell him... maybe he won't hit me with something," he continued. He had detached the nut from the screw and held both pieces in his palm.

"Can't we talk about it later?"

"No, I'm asking you, please do it now," Fez concluded, huddled with his head nestled between his shoulders.

Cora squeezed in among the group of fans and grabbed Aran. "Hey! Marmorel kissed Fez!" he shouted.

"Oh, okay!" said Aran, still distracted by the awards ceremony.

"Fez... doesn't look too good, and Marmorel was upset too."

"Did he drink?!" Aran yelled.

"Who? Fez or Marmorel?"

Xanter greeted the crowd with the trophy in hand, and Vincent drenched him with the contents of a large bottle, causing the champion to cough and be unable to react.

"Who? Xanter...seems like he drank something that went down the wrong way," Aran replied.

Cora was completely confused, with Marmorel, Fez, and Xanter. Maybe it was best to forget it.

The celebrations on the track continued for an hour, and the Kharzanian anthem was sung multiple times. The three Lud boys joined in the chants and exchanged hugs with fans from other teams.

As the crowds began to fade, exhausted, Cora, Aran, and Fez headed towards the exit.

"Where are the girls?" Aran suddenly asked.

"Elidana said to meet us at the Hive entrance," muttered Fez. "Here's the thing, Aran... don't be upset. You see, Marmorel kissed me," he continued with the expression of a beaten dog, but Aran didn't show any surprise.

"So what? Is that all?"

"So, there are no problems?" Fez asked, this time with more vigor. They had reached the Hive's exit, and the crowd began to scatter.

Aran raised an eyebrow. "Of course not, don't worry."

As promised, the three found the girls at the gate. Marmorel was crying so much that she couldn't speak, and Elidana was trying to comfort her. Cora and Aran rushed over, but Fez stayed back.

"Marmorel, why are you crying?" Aran yelled, worried. The girl didn't have the courage to look up, and Elidana sent them away with a wave of her hand. "Call Mansell, we'll talk later," she whispered.

Aran moved with Cora, staring at the two girls as he scratched the driver card. Fez approached Elidana slowly, who shrugged and shook her head. "We'll find another ride. See you at the hotel," she concluded in a practical tone. They both quickly walked away towards the dense group of cars in the parking lot.

The boys' way back to the hotel was filled with Mansell's speculations about Xanter Roha's victory. He came up with a conspiracy theory linking the new champion to General Janus Zakin of the Foreign Detachments. But no one paid him any attention. When they arrived at the hotel, they got into the elevator, and Fez took the opportunity to scrutinize Laratt's autograph carefully.

"He classified in second, but do you want to see it?" he asked in a hushed tone, showing his arm to his friends.

"It's still Laratt Tena's autograph," Aran said dryly.

"Dirty traitor of Zalesia, go back to the desert," Fez read aloud. For a moment, he had a joyful smile on his face, then looked up at the other two. He went back to the writing and grimaced in despair.

"What does it mean?" Cora asked, even more surprised.

Aran grabbed his friend's arm and reread Laratt's words. "What a jerk!" he barked.

The elevator reached their floor, and the boys hurried to their room.

"Why taking on him?" Cora asked, sitting on the bed. Fez went to the bathroom, and the sound of running water was heard.

"He's a soldier, one of those who spend the whole year in foreign detachments. Maybe he's stationed near the Zalesian desert and had some trouble with people who fled like the Shadids," explained Aran. "I don't know how else to justify that gesture."

After cleaning his arm thoroughly and returning to the others, Fez stood staring at the floor, changed, and lay on the bed without saying a word.

Cora didn't know how to behave.

"Let's go out," said young Allet as he opened the door to the room.

In the hallway, Marmorel and Elidana were about to enter their room.

"I don't want to talk to anyone!" Marmorel growled, slamming the door behind her. Elidana stayed outside, and after a few uncertain glances, the three of them sat on the floor, disheartened.

"Has she recovered?" Cora asked in a low voice.

"No, she hasn't recovered. I already know I'll be up all night," replied Elidana. She looked at the other person. "Ah, thanks, Aran... it was hard for you to return that kiss!" she concluded, turning around.

Aran rested his head against the wall. "What does that mean? I didn't even know what she was going to do!" he said. "And I don't intend to discuss the matter with you!"

"Well, no one is forcing you. But I think you should make things clear once and for all," she replied. "You can't lead her on all day, take her around, and then behave this way at night."

"For now, we have more serious problems than Marmorel," Cora interfered, pointing to the door of their room.

"Huh? More serious? Did a pilot puncture a tire and can't do fifty-two laps anymore?" Elidana retorted.

"No, but Laratt left an unpleasant sentence on Fez's arm," Aran replied, annoyed.

"What did he write?"

"Dirty Zalesia traitor, go back to the desert."

Elidana brought her hands to her face. She left the two on the ground and ran to Fez's room. She knocked and rushed in.

"Sorry, Aran, but wasn't there a Zalesian delegation on stage? Aren't they on good terms?" Cora asked, playing with the carpet.

"Yes, but it's just appearances. The Kharzanian government has just proved that the energy balance is close. The equivalent of a force deployment at the borders, nothing more, nothing less," Aran went to the girls' room door, knocked, and entered immediately after.

The lights in the hallway peaked in intensity and then dropped in tension. Cora was left alone, sitting scratching his back and holding the small stone that, given the impossibility of saying good night to Elidana, he would have liked to give her.