Chapter 6 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

Marmorel came to herself. She trembled like a blade of grass but found the strength to get up from her seat. With a threatening look, she gave Fez a powerful slap that woke him up from his torpor. Without saying anything else, she turned towards the exit, walking away quickly.

"Hey, Fez. Pull yourself together," Elidana said, grabbing him by the shoulders. "I'm going to Marmorel, see you at the entrance." She gave him a tap on the head. "Thanks to you, now I have to pick up the pieces!" She chased after her friend. Fez stood petrified and merely nodded when she was already far away.

"CORA!" Aran shouted a few meters from Xanter. The young man shook his head and ran towards the track. Once there, he also began to encourage the pilot.

Xanter tried to accelerate again, but nothing. He turned towards the crowd cheering him on.

"Maybe it will be for the next Grand Prix," Aran said.

Suddenly, as Xanter was about to lose his balance on the vaasp, he had to shift his weight to the side to regain stability. In those moments, the screeching of the Seorite came to look: the veins of the Cec systems regained their lost light and the yellow wings, which had been off just moments before, started pulsing strongly again.

The accelerator responded to Xanter's commands and he resumed his race, fleeing like a crazy shard.

"He's taken off again?" asked Cora, astonished.

"He's taken off again, yes!" replied Aran, equally uncertain in his expression.

In the middle of the race, the yellow and luminescent wings surpassed Laratt Tena. From the grandstand, generals and government representatives stood up from their seats.

Twenty-six, twenty-seven laps. Xanter was the only driver left in the competition.

"Look at him, it's amazing!" exclaimed Aran, standing with other fans just outside the track.

Xanter drove in front of the grandstand where he had stopped just moments before. Thirty laps done and the last stretch of the track ahead.

He raised his fist and got off the vaasp. "That's enough for him," said Aran.

"He's the new champion," added Cora.

The fans jumped over the barriers and carried him in triumph.

"Let's go too!" shouted Cora, and Aran followed him without needing to be asked twice.

At the finish line, they laid the pilot on the ground. Xanter took off his helmet and looked at the grandstand, still standing.

"Fez and the girls stayed in the stands," said Cora, turning around.

"I'm not leaving here, we'll figure it out later," replied Aran. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't have gone back. They were right under the stage, and the crowd behind them was becoming increasingly dense.

Xanter climbed the stairs with a broad smile. He opened the front of his suit to reveal a sweat-soaked shirt with his team emblem. He had blond shaved hair and a well-defined face covered with a thin layer of beard that accentuated his chin and upper lip. He jumped onto the first stand, full of emotion. Soon after, Laratt and Vincent took the second and third spots on the podium, respectively. Both congratulated the winner. An officer took the cumbersome rectangular trophy from the assistant's hands.

Xanter placed it in front of the podium and shook hands with every member of the government who came before him.

Once Cora emerged from the sea of people still pushing him down, he spotted Fez and raised his hand.