~endless cloud of smoke~

"ok mil, 19th on the grid means nothing, you can still get a good haul of points, just drive fast pocket rocket" fernando said down her radio as she lined up on the grid after the formation lap.
Fernando had been attending races frequently and would even sit on the aston pit wall and speak to millie down the radio sometimes. They were on very good terms and she felt fernando helped boost her mood and confidence before she raced.

She looked just ahead of her to see Lance lined up in P18. They were in this together and they knew that. Before the race they had spoken and agreed that they would do all they could to help the team maximise its points, but more importantly, to help each other. Looking up, the 5 lights began to turn on. She braced herself, hands right on the wheel, visor down. She was ready. 5 lights out.....

away they went

Her reactions were amazing as she sped of the line, Lance driving alongside her. She made a lunge into turn 1, taking her past a couple of cars. P16 after turn 1 wasn't to bad atall. She took the next few corners with caution, staying in the slipstream of the alfa romeo of Theo Pourchaire ahead of her. When they got onto the back straight towards the end of the lap, she saw Lance make a move on yuki tsunoda in her wingmirrors. She smiled to herself, seeing the progress they were able to make, even if it was only lap 1. After a few laps, she managed to get past Theo, but it took some battling. She enjoyed every second of battling for position with him again, as it reminded her of her f2 days.

On lap 20, she was called into the pits, now in P13 and fighting with the alpine of pierre gasly, she knew this was the right call. Her tyres were pretty much gone, and she was clinging onto her car for dear life into every corner, praying they would have enough grip to get her through smoothly. 2.1 seconds for her pits stop wasn't too bad. She came out in P16 behind pierre's teammate esteban ocon. She knew he would probably try to slow her down to allow pierre not to get caught up by the undercut attempt, but on her fresh tires, overtaking was a risk. Down the back straight she got DRS and flew past the alpine, pushing through the final few corners to get past the line as quickly as possible, as she wanted to get ahead of Pierre, who had boxed that lap.

"okay millie, it will be close with gasly on exit but you have the tyre advantage. prepare to fight" her race engineer said down the radio
"copy"

she flew past the alpine as he came out of the pits, barely getting ahead as he stayed on her tail, but the aston martin had the pace advantage. she began to pull away from pierre, creating a gap that was safe and reduced any risk of him attempting an overtake.

The majority of the race from here was basic procedure for Millie. Push and overtake. She had managed to fight her way up to P7, lance currently sitting in P9.

"Red flag, Red flag. slow down and pit at the end of the lap please millie"
she would usually go straight down the radio to ask what the problem was, but she didn't have too as she saw the cloud of smoke ahead of her, a white car and an orange car in the barriers, the mclaren upside down and the haas in two pieces
"guys what the fuck..." she said she began to slow her car down to get a closer look. she felt the sting in her eyes as she saw the number 4 on the papaya car.
"guys it's lando, who's the haas"
she was worried knowing it was either her boyfriend or one of her best friends involved in the collision. As if on queue, the other haas drive past her, the number 12 catching her vision meaining only one thing. The car in the crash was Ollie.
"millie continue driving please, come to the pitlane now"
"but guys their cars are smoking"
all she could see was an endless cloud of smoke coming from the pair of cars.
"the stewards are going to sort it, your job right now is to move that car and bring it back because your too close to them. it's dangerous. listen to me millie"

Part of her wanted to ignore her race engineer and jump out of her car, sprinting over to the two boys, but she knew better. She would simply be putting herself in danger, and she would be getting in the way of the stewards. She wanted the information on what happened and she wouldn't get that by trying to foolishly play the hero.
"millie please just come round and back to us for your own good"
it was fernando who spoke this time.
She sighed as she accepted defeat.
"i'm coming"

As soon as she was in the pitlane, she got out of her car and took her helmet off, placing it on the front wing of her car. The mechanics came over to do checks, but she didn't wait around, quickly making her way to the pit wall.
"guys what happened"
fernando stood up and moved her away, placing his hands on both her shoulders.
"please relax"
"are they both ok?"
he stayed silent. she felt her eyes stinging as tears began to fall.
"please fernando tell me they are ok"

the two ambulances speeding out onto the track answered her question. she looked between the vehicles and fernando, her glazed eyes begging him to say it was all a dream and that the two boys were on their way back to the pitlane. she heard gasps and shouts erupting from the aston martin garage, fernando blocking her way in. she turned on her heel, running into the mclaren garage, not caring she shouldn't be in there. Oscar spotted her and stood infront of the screen.
"millie you don't wanna see this"
"oscar. move"
"no i..."
"move" she said barging past him.

All she could see on the screen was flames.
"nononono!"

———————————————————————

A/N: THE LISSIE AND MARCUS SOFTLAUNCH, I REPEAT. THE LISSIE AND MARCUS SOFTLAUNCH