ᴠ | ᴛᴜʟɪᴘꜱ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡɪɴᴅᴍɪʟʟ, ᴍᴀ'ᴀᴍ?

Start from the beginning

She opens her backpack to retrieve Percy's water bottle and something to occupy herself instead of speaking... Aha! A travel brochure she swiped from the ferry! Now she can look at all the fun things she isn't going to get to see while she's in the Netherlands.

Percy's still talking about plans and devious gods and water quality while she flips through the pamphlet. This really is a broad informational piece. How is somebody supposed to do canals and museums and tulips all in one day? Well, Annabeth supposes it might be easier now since there isn't much to see when it comes to tulips.

"Huh," she says, showing Percy a picture of one of the attractions. "Isn't this where the characters from The Fault in Our Stars have sex?"

Percy raises an eyebrow. "Did you hear anything I just said?"

"Nope!" She turns her attention back to the pamphlet. Yikes—more windmills. She'll be skipping those for sure. Oh, a national park with some badass leaves. She and Will could have an awesome Taylor Swift-esque photoshoot there, and it would be like the Evermore album...

Except Will isn't here, so there goes that idea. Percy doesn't seem like someone who would be into that sort of thing.

And then her pamphlet is gone. "Hey! I didn't get to finish reading about the dikes!"

Percy spits out his water. "You didn't finish reading about the what now?"

"Kind of an architectural wonder, really. The least you can do is take me to see 'em now since I didn't get to go to the Hoover Dam," she says.

Percy puts the pamphlet in the basket of the bicycle. Shit, so while she was busy planning out a vacation she'll never be able to take, he was ready to track the boar.

She sighs, resigning herself to the stick still lodged up Percy's ass. "Alright, what's the plan?"

He points out into the field, and at first, Annabeth thinks he's teasing her with that windmill off in the distance. Then she sees the pink tulips. Then she sees... less... tulips. It's almost as if they're disappearing.

"Shit, that's where the boar is!" she yells, pointing to the rustling in the field.

Percy facepalms. "Yeah, that's what I was trying to-"

"Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of how awesome we're going to look wrangling this boar. Can you set up a camera?"

Unamused, he lays the bike down on the bloomless tulips and crouches down in the greenery, no doubt reaching for the pen in his pocket. "Be serious, Annabeth," he says. "How did this thing get killed in the myth?"

"Okay, don't take this out on me," Annabeth says, "but Hercules didn't actually kill the Erymanthian Boar."

"You're joking."

"No, he wrangled it more or less. He scared it into a deep pile of snow and chained it up from there," she explains. "He wasn't supposed to kill it. He just had to capture it and bring it to some king."

He finally looks up at her. "So now what?"

Annabeth purses her lips. They don't have a snow bank right now, or any chains to catch the thing with. There is, however, a windmill in the distance, Percy's rented bicycle, and of course, their weapons, but they'll have to catch the boar before they can even think about how to break its thick skin.

"Ooh, something cool is about to happen," Percy says.

"Huh?" she asks.

"You've got that planning face."