[4] Percy the plumber

Mulai dari awal

The pair of cabins at the head of the field, numbers one and two, resembled his-and-hers mausoleums, each a large white marble structure with imposing columns. Cabin one was the largest and bulkiest of the twelve, its polished bronze doors shimmering like a hologram, giving the impression of lightning bolts streaking across them from various angles.

Cabin two, on the other hand, exuded a certain grace, with slimmer columns adorned with pomegranates and flowers. Its walls were adorned with carvings of peacocks.

"Zeus and Hera?" Y/N guessed.

"Correct," Chiron affirmed.

"Their cabins are empty," Percy observed, gazing up at the numbers above the doors.

"Indeed, several of the cabins are unoccupied," Chiron replied. "No one ever stays in one or two."

They halted in front of the first cabin on the left, number three. It was not as grand as cabin one, but it was long and sturdy. Its exterior walls were constructed from rough grey stone embedded with fragments of seashells and coral, as if the slabs had been carved directly from the ocean floor. Percy seemed strangely drawn to it, peeking inside the open doorway.

"Oh, I wouldn't do that!" Chiron exclaimed, pulling Percy away from the entrance. "Shall we move on?" Most of the other cabins were bustling with campers, and number five, in particular, drew Y/N's attention. It was a vivid red, with a rather aggressive paint job that appeared to have been applied with enthusiasm and energy. The roof was lined with barbed wire, and a stuffed wild boar's head loomed over the doorway. Peering inside, Y/N saw a group of belligerent-looking kids, both boys and girls, engaged in arm wrestling and heated arguments while loud rock music blared.

The most vocal among them was a girl around thirteen or fourteen, who wore a size XXXL CAMP HALF-BLOOD T-shirt beneath a camouflage jacket. She honed in on Y/N and offered an evil sneer. Y/N quickly moved on, keeping a safe distance from Chiron's hooves.

"We haven't seen any other centaurs," He observed.

"No," Chiron replied sadly. "My kin are a wild and uncivilized people, I'm afraid. You might encounter them in the wilderness or at major sporting events, but you won't find any here."

"You said your name was Chiron," Percy began. "Are you really..."

Chiron smiled down at him. "The Chiron from the stories? The trainer of Hercules and all that? Yes, Percy, that's me."

"But, shouldn't you be dead?" Y/N questioned. Chiron paused, as if intrigued by the question.

"I honestly don't know about 'should be.' The truth is, I cannot be dead. Eons ago, the gods granted my wish. I could continue the work I loved, teaching heroes as long as humanity required my guidance. I gained much from that wish and sacrificed much. But I'm still here, so I can only assume that I am still needed." Chiron smiled.

"Doesn't it ever get boring?" Y/N inquired. "Teaching for three thousand years isn't exactly on my list of top wishes."

"No, never boring," he replied. "At times, it can be terribly disheartening, but never boring."

"Why disheartening?" Percy asked.  Chiron turned his gaze away swiftly. He appeared to have difficulty hearing again.

"Oh, look," he said. "Annabeth is waiting for us."

The blond girl was engrossed in a book, sitting in front of the last cabin on the left, number eleven. As they approached, she gave Y/N a critical once-over, as if she were still thinking about how much he drooled. Y/N tried to catch a glimpse of the book's title, but to his surprise, the letters weren't in English; they appeared to be Greek. Not just the language, but also Greek imagery with depictions of temples, statues, and various architectural elements.