[4] Percy the plumber

Start from the beginning

"That sounds horrible," Y/N muttered.

"Indeed," Chiron agreed. "In any case, Grover is a late bloomer, even by satyr standards, and not yet highly skilled in woodland magic. Sadly, he was eager to pursue his dream. Perhaps now he will consider an alternative career..."

"That's not fair," Y/N said. "What happened the first time? Was it really that bad?" Chiron averted his gaze quickly.

"Shall we continue our tour?" Chiron redirected. His tone was firm. Y/N glanced at Percy, who appeared deep in thought.

"Chiron," Percy began, "if the gods and Olympus are real... does that mean the Underworld is real too?"

Chiron's expression darkened. "Yes, child." He paused, as if carefully selecting his words. "There is a place where spirits go after death. But for now, until we know more, I would advise you to put that out of your mind."

"What do you mean, 'until we know more'?" Y/N raised an eyebrow.

"Come, Percy, Y/N." Chiron smiled thinly. "Let's explore the woods."

.

.

.

As they approached, Y/N realized just how massive the forest was, covering at least a quarter of the valley, with towering trees too thick to wrap yourself around them

"The woods are open to exploration, if you're willing, but proceed armed," Chiron advised.

"Explore for what?" Y/N asked. "Armed with what?"

"You'll see." Chiron dismissed the question. "Capture the flag is on Friday night. Do both of you have your own swords and shields?"

"Our own..?" Percy began.

"No," Chiron interrupted. "I suppose you don't. I'll visit the armoury later."

The tour continued, with everything they had to offer on display. They encountered the archery range, the canoeing lake, the stables (which Chiron didn't seem to like very much), the javelin range, the sing-along amphitheatre, and the arena where Chiron mentioned they held sword and spear contests.

"Sword and spear contests?" Percy questioned.

"Cabin challenges and more," Chiron explained. "Non-lethal. Usually. Oh, yes, and there's the mess hall." Chiron pointed to an open pavilion with white Grecian columns, situated on a hill overlooking the sea. It housed a dozen stone picnic tables without a roof or walls.

"What do you do when it rains?" Y/N inquired. Chiron looked at him as though he'd said something weird.

"We still need to eat, don't we?" Chiron said.

Finally, he them to the cabins. There were twelve cabins nestled in the woods by the lake, arranged in a U shape with two at the base and five in a row on each side. Each cabin had a large brass number above the door, with odd numbers on the left and even numbers on the right. However, apart from the numbered doors, they looked nothing alike.

Number nine had smokestacks, resembling a tiny factory. Number four had tomato vines on the walls and a roof covered in actual grass. Cabin seven appeared to be made of solid gold, gleaming so brightly in the sunlight that it was nearly blinding. They all faced a common area about the size of a soccer field, adorned with Greek statues, fountains, flower beds, and a couple of basketball hoops. In the centre of the field was a large stone-lined firepit.

Even though it was a warm afternoon, the hearth was smouldering. A girl about nine years old tended to the fire, prodding the coals with a stick. She looked in Y/N's direction, and a small smile graced her face. She offered a gentle wave, and Y/N returned one. He would have to talk to her later.