Chapter 13

Kristin

"Please. Don't."

My words were a broken plea as I curled into myself, desperate to escape the outstretched hands reaching for me.

"Get up," he demanded, a strong hand gripping my hair, his voice powerful enough to make the strongest wolf submit.

But I wouldn't. I'd never submit to this. Of all the choices that had been taken from me, this was the worst. When it was my body being used against my will for purposes that brought them pleasure.

"It's you or them, bitch."

Them?

Suddenly the hand grasping my hair was gone. The Alpha was gone.

"No! No!"

My head snapped to the side, my stomach twisting violently at the sight in the cell beside mine. The Alpha's hand wrapped around Gabi's neck, effectively cutting off her sobs as he threw her onto the cot like a piece of filth.

"No," I whispered, gripping the bars as I hastily rose to my feet. "No, no, no! Gabi!"

And as her dress was torn, her face shifted and suddenly, beneath the Alpha's broad frame was Addison.

I screamed.

I woke up shoving and kicking, frantic to remove the hands that grasped me before I could register the voice repeating my name. It was desperate and familiar, providing comfort through my panic.

But Grayson's eyes weren't the ones I saw upon opening mine, but Gabi's - Gabi's gray eyes as worried and terrified as they had been moments before and that churning in my gut worsened.

I bolted, stumbling to the bathroom before falling to my knees as I heaved. Nothing came up, but I felt desperate to rid of the dread twisting my stomach as I dry heaved my nonexistent dinner. I welcomed the pain, the violent shakes, letting it bring me back to reality, wanting to focus on anything other than Gabi and Addison being shoved onto that tattered cot.

"Hey, hey."

His voice was soft, as soft as his hands hesitantly traveling up my spine, carefully pulling my hair back as he reached forward to tuck loose strands behind my ears. He never gripped or pulled, just held it there in a gentle fist at the nape of my neck.

But what would he be doing if he knew the extent of my nightmare - if he knew where my subconscious had put his sister.

She's here. Addi's here. In their beds, safe and asleep, Kris. They're okay.

But what if they weren't? If I hadn't been able to stop them, would they have been taken too? What if they didn't just want me, what if they wanted anyone they could get their hands on? What if they wanted an Alpha female, a Beta female? Was that what made them take me?

I couldn't stop the questions. They swirled around and around, making me dizzy and I felt lost. So fucking lost. I was joining a pack that I felt so protective of when the future felt so delicate and unsure. I couldn't trust them. I didn't want to get close to them. They couldn't trust me. How could they trust me so easily when they barely knew me?

Kristin, stop.

Kita's gentle voice was lost to the madness as I shook my head.

"Sweetheart."

Grayson's voice was worried, but I couldn't find it in me to reassure him that I was fine. Clearly I wasn't, and everytime I uttered those two words, it was a lie accompanying all the other untruths I had yet to tell him.