Chapter 12

Kristin

"I'm sorry?"

I couldn't have heard him right. He didn't know me well enough. His pack was in danger because of me. Surely that didn't result in an invitation to live here permanently.

What did you think was going to happen?

I nearly rolled my eyes. I wish she had an off button.

I watched Grayson watch me, eyes as hopeful as they were weary, and as much as I wanted to tell him yes, that I'd join tomorrow, I couldn't. Joining a new pack was no small feat. It was special. I'd form a new bond with each of them - they'd become my new family.

And while a part of me, a huge part of me missed that community, that bond, that safety, I didn't think I'd be able to handle the guilt if something happened to them because of me.

"Grayson, I'm not so sure that's a good idea."

His eyes hardened, the same way they did each time I disappointed him, and I knew he was about to shut me out. We had some serious communication issues. I suppose now was as great a time as any to start working on those.

"I just mean," I tried to find the words, feeling caught off guard, and I was beginning to grow tired of that. "I just mean that I don't think it's a good idea for me to join because that'll put eyes on your pack, Grayson."

His jaw flexed, eyes darkening, and I realized that I wasn't making this any better.

"Gray, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened here," I admitted, allowing myself to give him some of my worry. "If they're after me, and I join, Black River will be their new target."

"So, what? You think you're better off alone," Grayson asked with exasperation, tilting his head towards the ceiling. His face was pleading when he faced me again. "I can't protect you, the pack can't protect you. We can try but if something happens to you, Kris, we will never know."

He rose from his chair, rounding the counter and grabbing my hands.

"Black River is so much stronger than Silver Crescent ever was, you know that. We know there is a threat, and we can fight against it. But if they take you -,"

"If they take me, Grayson, the chances of you finding me would still be slim. If they were to take me far away, or mess with my head, mind linking would be impossible. They could mess with my scent. They could -,"

"They could," he agreed with a nod, and I didn't realize I was heaving until his hands cupped my cheeks and he dropped his forehead to mine. "But it'd be a hell of a lot harder to take you if you were a part of Black River."

His blue eyes bored into mine and shined with fierce determination.

"And if by chance they got their hands on you, if they took you from me." His eyes darkened dangerously, and I realized then I should probably be a little afraid of him.

"No place on this earth would be safe enough for them."

It was a dark promise. One I believed.

He pulled back a little, stroking my cheeks with his thumbs.

"I'd always find you, just make it a little easier for me, yeah?"

All I could do was swallow, my throat drier than it had ever been. His words seemed so casual, but I didn't doubt him. This was the care of a mate. He was wanting to give me what I had so desperately sought from Aiden - that thought suddenly made me feel guilter than a convicted sinner.

Grayson pulled away from me completely, smiling softly before he reached behind me and plucked a cookie from the plate.

"Think about it."