Chapter 7

Grayson

"Oh, you'll look so cute in this!"

I held back a chuckle at the apprehension that passed across Kristin's face when she thought no one was looking. Each time Gabi held up another clothing item that was clearly outside of Kristin's comfort zone, Kristin would simply nod, offering the smallest of smiles before whispering out.

"Maybe."

At some point Gabi had finally caught onand when she pulled out the most hideous item of clothing I had ever seen, Kristin's face finally went pale before she looked at me in complete terror. Only then did Gabi break, her face creeping into a shit eating grin followed by loud laughter.

Kristin's eyes met mine again, looking completely lost and I sighed, giving her a gentle smile. Reaching up, I gave the fluffy ball attached to a knitted hat of Gabi's on her head a careful tug. She looked so fucking adorable bundled in the hoodie I had given her with her long dark hair tucked under the collar.

"Gabi, cut it out," I ordered, "you're terrifying her."

Gabi's laughter continued as she reached forward and placed a hand on Kristin's arm. "I'm sorry," she wheezed, "but you should've seen your face." Then she managed to compose herself before straightening. "Okay, okay. All jokes aside. What items of clothing do you like?"

"Uhh." Kristin looked down at herself and held out her hands. "Hoodies. Jeans. Sweaters," she listed hesitantly before her face brightened. "Yoga pants."

Gabi sighed before nodding. "Okay, I suppose I can work with that. For now," Gabi warned, but before I could say anything, she was frolicking in the opposite direction, dodging tables full of clothes.

We had been in town for a little over an hour, and the only thing we had successfully checked off our list was a few pairs of shoes for Kristin, and some other women's essentials that Gabi insisted I couldn't be in the store for. I had obeyed, providing my sister with payment which she took with a wicked smile. Kristin, on the other hand, hadn't been ecstatic to be bought for, but neither of us hadn't really given her a choice either.

"How does she have so much energy," Kristin whispered and I looked down at her, chuckling.

"She came out of the womb like that. My mom swears her organs still haven't returned to normal due to all of Gabi's kicking, and my dad says when she was born, she didn't sleep for an entire two days."

Kristin grinned a little, and nothing could have pulled me from that spot as I stared at her, taking in every inch and storing it away. Before meeting her, I never knew making someone smile could be so rewarding. I also never knew that seeing someone cry could feel like a sucker punch. Sure, seeing my mother or sister cry made my skin crawl, but to see her cry, to hear her cry and not be able to do a fucking thing about it made me nearly lose my damn mind.

It had only been a few hours since she had come to my office. Where she had shared an inkling of the past two years of her life, the death of her family, the attack on her pack, and since then, a pit of sorrow had formed in my chest that I couldn't shake. I knew that wasn't even the beginning of her story, that there was so much more to it that I didn't know if I could handle hearing.

Everything that I was ached to know her, to form a connection to her. The powerful urge to protect and care for her felt so overwhelming that I couldn't stand it, and I wanted, more than anything in the world, to give her an easy life full of love, safety, and comfort.

For the first time in my life, I had no control over my emotions, and it was pissing me off. My wolf had never been so on edge, and it only worsened the moment that Kristin had given me that tidbit of information about being locked in a cellar for two years and then basically avoiding me since running out of my office. But right now, all of the frustration, anger, and fear had faded as I took her in.