Chapter 5

Grayson

"You do realize you need to go back in there."

My head whipped to the side, shooting a fierce glare at my Gamma, but the only thing the bastard did in return was smirk. Taking a seat in one of the chairs, Asher propped his right ankle on his left knee before crossing his arms and looking up at me.

"You've been staring at it for thirty minutes now. You may be powerful and all, but I'm pretty sure you weren't blessed with telekinesis."

"Fuck off, Asher," I grumbled, sitting in a seat a couple down from him, placing my elbows on my knees before resting my head in my hands. I heard a soft chuckle before Asher moved down a few seats to sit in the one next to me. He patted my back twice before leaning on his own knees, and I could feel his gaze boring into the side of my head.

"What's going on, man? I've never seen you so bent out of shape," he said. "When I got the call from Seth saying that there was an emergency, I thought maybe there had been an attack or someone was hurt, but now I'm just confused as hell." He paused for just a moment. "Or that Gabi finally killed your ass and was now Alpha."

That made me chuckle - the possibility of my own sister murdering me in cold blood was high, had been since childhood, and it was only growing now that she knew I was hiding my mate away.

"Nope, not yet," I muttered, picking my head back up and looking at the door once again.

It had been hours since I had marched out of Kristin's room with a demand and a slam of the door. I had left the hospital to go for a run, trying to not let that seed of hurt she had planted with those words grow. It hadn't been easy, and I soon found it was debilitating to not only be away from her after just finding her, but to be faced with the realization that she may not want me.

She wants us.

I tried grasping onto Acel's words, but just because our wolves had accepted the bond, doesn't mean she had too. That was the cruel reality with being given a soul mate. And I didn't know if I was ready to face that yet. Not when all I had to do was look at her, and it already felt like my entire life was right in front of me.

"I found my mate," I whispered finally, and when Asher straightened instantly, only then did I turn to look at him.

"Holy shit."

I smirked. It wasn't often that Asher Pierce was speechless.

"You finally found her," he said softly, slowly as a smile crept over his face. Placing a hand on my shoulder, he shook me. "Congrats, man." The smile on his face fell as he looked over my features. "Why don't you look happy?"

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair for the millionth time in the past forty-two hours. "Well, for starters, I found her nearly frozen and bleeding to death." Asher sucked in a breath. "Then, I found out that there are signs of long term abuse." At that, Asher clenched his fists but didn't say anything, just gestured for me to continue. "But earlier today, when talking with her about discharging from the hospital this evening, she asked what the next step was, and when I told her about moving into the pack house, she said "and if I don't want that?""

Asher let out a noise that sounded a lot like oof. I watched as he gathered the pieces as I continued, explaining to him my response and leaving. When I was done, he looked at me and grimaced just a little.

"I'm sure she's just scared," he tried reassuring me, but even I could tell he wasn't all that confident which didn't ease my worries because if Asher was anything, it was confident. "I mean, you said she was running from something, beaten and bloody, I'm sure that it isn't gonna be an easy transition for her."