9

Quietly, Jungkook sets down the container of leftover dinner and he waits patiently with his breath held as the sound of footsteps grow closer and closer to the kitchen.

When the footsteps turn into the sight of a familiar hamster hybrid, Jungkook inhales a little gasp that causes him to start choking on his own spit— Seokjin just watches in total shock and silence.

After a few seconds, Seokjin tilts his head. "Are you... okay..?"

Jungkook once again inhales to stop himself from looking like a clown.

"Mhm. Yup."

Seokjin looks at him for far too long and suddenly Jungkook feels awkward. He can't just not eat now that he's here and got the leftovers out, but Seokjin seems stunned to the floor for some reason.

He decides to ignore Seokjin and opens up the container to dig in for the food that the hamster cooked. He would've made his own food, but he'd be a liar to say he didn't want this delicious meal that he bailed on earlier this evening.

"Did you like the food?" Seokjin questions him. Jungkook's bunny ears stand straight up on his head in response. He turns to the older and looks him up and down.

"Maybe. I dunno. Just hungry." He continues filling his plate full.

"Oh, right." Seokjin seems to remember something. "You didn't eat much earlier. I guess you wouldn't know if you liked it."

Jungkook pouts to himself, but then his pout eases away once he realizes that Seokjin even paid attention to him or realized him leaving the table earlier. He was busy being all over Hoseok and Taehyung, after all.

He doesn't say anything back because he doesn't know what to say. Instead, he picks his plate up to microwave his food.

And then... once he's just about to reach the microwave... the plate loses balance in his hand and falls over before Jungkook can realize what's going on. He may be a fast bunny, but he's not fast enough to catch his meal, which splatters all over the floor.

He stands there shocked for a moment and he can see Jin in the corner of his eye, also standing shocked beside the fridge door which he slowly closes, clutching a water bottle close to his chest.

"Oh my."

Jungkook feels like raging and crying at the same time. It isn't until Seokjin sets his water down and begins cleaning up the mess that the anger and sadness turns into confusion and shock.

"You don't have to," he says and quickly begins helping. Seokjin continues cleaning up the mess, not caring.

"I can make you something else to eat," Seokjin says with his head lowered. All Jungkook can see is his hamster ears and brown hair— and maybe a peek of Jin's dusted red human ears as well.

Confused by Seokjin's offer, Jungkook stops cleaning to look at him in silence.

When Seokjin lifts his head and their eyes meet, Jungkook looks away.

"It's fine," he mutters lowly, "it's not like you want to anyways. I'm me."

Seokjin's ear twitches as he flinches backwards, furrowing his brows in confusion. "I- I do want to cook something for you! You must be hungry... aren't you? Or do you not like my food? Are you a picky eater? Did I make something you're allergic to? If so, I-I'm sorry."

Suddenly Jungkook feels bad, the more Seokjin continues to ramble on.

"No, no," he quickly says. "I just thought you wouldn't want to cook for me because, well, I'm not your favorite or anything. I don't exactly think we're... friends."

Seokjin's tiny ears droop. "Oh. Right." He frowns, which makes Jungkook's tall bunny ears fall back and he frowns as well.

"Sorry," he mumbles quietly. "I'll just..."

He grabs a bag of chips and hurries out of the kitchen before he can drop any more food or make things awkward again.

And he tries to keep the burned image of Jin's frown out of his mind. He fails.

——

——

——