twenty one

<3 <3 <3

"Hey, Sparky!" I look up at the sound of my nickname, eyes squinting a little to find my friend, Ben sitting on the sidelines of the field. He sits with a couple others beside our bags that have been discarded. Holding a phone up in his hand, he calls out, "Your girl's calling!"

Quickly, I toss the rugby ball in my hand over to my friend then jog over to where he's sitting. "Thanks," I murmur, quickly taking the phone from him and answering her call. I press my phone to my ear and ask, "Aurora?"

"Hi, love," Her voice is soft, if a little worried. "Are you busy right now?"

"Never too busy for you," I tell her immediately as I pick up my bag from the ground. It's been a week or so since our first date. It's a Tuesday lunch time, so I'm not supposed to be seeing her until next period. "Something wrong?"

"Oh... Not really." She laughs a little. A nervous laugh. "Could you come to the canteen? My ex... he's just showed up and won't take the hint. I promised to call, so..."

"I'm on my way," I'm already storming up the bank of the field towards the school buildings. "You with your friends?"

"Yes. We're just eating lunch. Him and a couple of his friends decided to join us and he won't stop trying to talk to me. It's not a big deal, really. But I'd like you here."

"I'll be there in a couple minutes, alright?"

"Okay. Sorry to make you leave your friends."

A laugh escapes me before I can help it. "Aurora. There's no where I'd rather be than with you. You got that?"

"Got it." I can just imagine her nodding once, cheeks pink.

"Good. I'm just at the canteen now." I push open the double doors, "I'll be with you in a second."

"Thank you, George." The call ends and I lower my phone, eyes darting over to the table she normally sits at. I spot her and her friends immediately. My eyes narrow into a glare when I see three guys taking up the seats that are usually left empty at their table. As I storm over there, I immediately notice how uncomfortable all five girls sitting at the table look. They're sending each other looks as if to say how do we get them to leave?

"Aurora," I murmur as I stop just behind her seat. Her head whips around and she smiles up at me thankfully.

"George," She breathes, standing up from her seat. The guy sitting beside her turns to glare at me, only to stop short as his eyes travel up my tall frame.

I pointedly ignore him, stepping closer and taking Aurora's hand in mine. She steps closer and I slide a hand to her waist, taking her seat at the table and pulling her down onto my lap with me. "Missed you," I grumble into her hairline, pressing a kiss there.

She relaxes her body against mine, moving one of my hands to sit high on her thigh. "I missed you too." She whispers back, just for my ears.

Sitting up straighter, I look around the table. I notice her friends look a little more relaxed in my presence. In the past few weeks, I've spent a bit of time with them. They seem to like me just fine, more than these other guys here. I glare at the guy sitting beside me, head tilted, "Who are these guys?" I ask no one in particular.

All three guys squirm under my gaze, not saying anything.

Aurora pipes up happily, "That's Finn, my ex that I told you about. And his two friends."

"Ah," I hum, "The ex. Doesn't seem like your type."

A little snort comes from Aurora and she quickly lifts a hand to stifle her laugh, turning her head to shoot me a playful glare over her shoulder. I grin widely, running my hands up and down her thighs leisurely.

"Rory," Finn whispers harshly to her, as though I can't still hear him, "I need to talk to you. Alone."

Aurora shifts a little in my lap to face him, wrapping an arm behind my shoulders. The stare she sets on him is unamused and uninterested. "Anything you have to say to me can be said in front of my boyfriend as well."

Finn turns the brightest shade of red, "Boyfriend? This guy is your boyfriend?"

Aurora click her tongue. "Sure is. Isn't he gorgeous? And he treats me far better than you ever did."

He scoffs, "He's not good for you. What do you even have to talk about with a dumb jock?"

Her body tenses on my lap. I'm not affected by this guy's nonsense, but Aurora immediately jumps to defend me. "You're a prick, Finn. George is incredibly smart — just because he's not top of every class, doesn't make him inferior to you in anyway. All you have is brains because you lack any sort of empathy, kindness or humour. He's a far better man than you'll ever be. Now please, leave me and my friends alone?"

A proud smile lifts my lips and I hold her a little tighter. "I'm happy to use force if you don't leave in the next five seconds." I say it casually, levelling him with a challenging stare.

Finn huffs, face red and pinched in anger. He quickly stands and storms away, his two friends not far behind him.

Aurora's friend, Sarah lets out a dramatic breath and says, "Thanks for that, George. Guys like that don't know how to take no for an answer."

"I can see that," I nod to the girls as they give me grateful smiles. "I really can't believe you dated that guy, Aurora."

She groans softly, resting her head against mine. "I know. It was a lapse in judgement, okay?"

"We never liked him," Another of Aurora's friends, Penny, speaks up. She twirls a piece of her hair, shrugging, "Him and his friends all act entitled. Like because they're smart, they're better than everyone else."

"Totally," Sarah nods, "George, you're so much better for her. Rory's so happy with you."

"Sitting right here guys," Aurora laughs, cheeks turning red. "George doesn't need a big head."

"No, I'm loving this," I grin, "Tell me more about how perfect Aurora and I are for each other."

~ Pink Flamingo <3