ᴍɪxᴇᴅ sɪɢɴᴀʟs

WORD COUNT: 1.9k

summary: chris says something that makes the reader doubt their growing relationship

♤°♥,..♤°♥,.. ♤°♥,..

"DUDE NO WAY. I would never date her."

The words rang through your head continuously.

Never.

He would never date you. Not "oh we're just friends" or "I don't like her like that" - no. He could never even imagine being with you.

The words struck you like a baseball bat to the head, and your face fell. Sure you knew there was a chance that he didn't reciprocate your feelings, but you never thought it would ever be confirmed so bluntly - much less while recording a car video with the triplets.

While filming the Q+A, somebody had sent in a question asking about you and Chris' relationship. Chris shut it down really fast, and really harshly.

"Jesus dude, relax," Matt laughed beside him.

"It's true, right Y/N?" asked Chris as he turned his head to look at you in the back seat.

You swallowed, although it was incredibly difficult with how dry your throat had become. You didn't even know if you would be able to speak right now.

"Mhm," you said, nodding your head.

If Chris noticed your discomfort, he mentioned nothing about it, turning back to the camera and changing the topic as quick as it came.

"I would never date her."

It kept playing over and over in your head on the drive home. You were supposed to be going to their house for a sleepover, but you had decided that you didn't feel well and asked Matt to drive you home. Nick made a mental note of your body language, pulling out his phone and texting you immediately.

- - -

nick:
why the sudden change? you okay?

you:
i just feel sick

- - -

And that was that. He decided to not press any further as he sat in silence the whole car ride.

You let the conversation flow right over your head; you didn't need to make matters worse by letting your emotions get the best of you. It was best to just not contribute - if you did, they would notice how little interest you had in even being there.

Taking off your seatbelt, you thanked Matt for dropping you off. Nick hugged you swiftly, squeezing you before letting you hop out of the car.

You said goodbye to Matt, you said goodbye to Nick, yet when Chris bid you a good night you simply ignored him and closed the door.

You didn't want to deal with him right now.

For the past few weeks Chris had been more affectionate than usual. He'd text you good morning, constantly send you videos of him and his brothers, he'd face-time you, compliment you. One night he had even walked you home from a party that you had been to together, hugging you before watching you safely return to your house.

At the time you thought there might have been something there. Not anymore.

You remembered what he said to you that night he walked you home. There was even a moment where you thought he might kiss you, but he didn't.