She must have realized what was happening as the waiter harshly told her that she's taking up space and is forced to depart the restaurant. My heart hurts seeing the frighted look on her face. She slouches in the chair while everyone stares at her. On queue, she rubs her eyes, fighting the urge to cry.

I have to do something.

In the moment, my maternal instincts activate.

"Give her room," I spoke up, pushing past the stiff crowd of people. "It's clear that you're scaring her". The waiter in all black, I assume is the head waiter, changes her tune and justifies that it is our reserved table that the young girl is occupying. I had stop her from leaving and ended up letting her keep it because I didn't care about a table, she was my main concern. I caught her sweet innocent face looking at me so I stared back with a reassuring smile. The cinnamon brown eyes are red with traces of tears. Every bit of me wants to comfort her.

I ask the waiter to bring her food and water because the poor thing looked hungry and thirsty. I take my seat at the table across from her and keep a close eye. My thoughts are racing. She looks to be about nine years old, very young for someone out here all by themselves. Shes so small and skinny based upon her baggy clothes. Yet, there is something about her that I can't seem to resist.

Throughout the evening most of my attention is on her. She is sitting there like a lost puppy. There were moments where I had to look away because I didn't want to come off as a stalker. I'm doing my best to engage with my group as they discuss future endeavors for the firm. Earlier, I was tempted to get her a Tiramisu for dessert after ordering a salad and lamb chops for myself.

I'm pushing it.

I just want to talk to her and make sure she is okay.

Spending enough time observing her, I made up in my mind that I wouldn't be satisfied until she ate. Noticing her poor eating, I secretly address it and offend her unintentionally. I jump at the opportunity to get close to her and properly apologize. Amongst her presence, I'm struck by the gleam in her eyes that unleashes a versent impression running through my core. It leaves my heart skipping. A small fraction in my mind knows, she needs me...and I need her.

Before she left, I extend a greeting and she introduce herself as Maryanne. Names are one thing however, I would like to know more about her. I don't want to assume that Maryanne is homeless, but the signs were there. Her unconvincing story leads me to hand out my card in case she needs my help or want to see me again.

Eventually, I had no choice but to let her go. Though, I desperately wanted her to stay. Watching Maryanne leave at the brink of night was tough, I really hope she stays safe. After all, she's just a little baby.

-|||-

Two days goes by and Maryanne is all I think about. Is she safe?, is she eating well? Should I have called someone?. I started to convince myself that after a few short years of hoping and searching, she could be the one.

I have one full day left before I go back home. I extended my stay for two extra days letting my group go on without me. I felt like I needed some time to myself.

Yesterday, I went site seeing, traveld on a tour bus and enjoyed a visit to a culture museum. Today, I'm excited to check out the small cafe/coffee shop I keep passing. From the outside it looked very vintage and modern. Plus, it's five minutes away from my hotel.

A win!

I walk out into the 90 degrees farienheit weather. I'm grateful that I wore a tank top under my thin cardigan and flats with a small heel so it won't cause any discomfort.