Chapter 28 - Leaving and coming back

Start from the beginning

"About that... you know what? I will tell you later. Now, Ms. Noceda, I think it's up to Luz to decide, though I understand your reservations." Eda said.

My mom looked at me, I could see in her eyes that she didn't want me to leave, yet I had to. It felt right. "Mom, I think college can wait... please, understand-"

"I understand Luz, I'm just, worried, you know? You are running to this strange world once again."

"I will be fine, besides, Eda and Amity will keep me safe, not that I'm defenseless myself."

"When will you come back, Luz?"

"Don't worry Ms. Noceda, the portal is accessible so she can go back anytime." Eda said.

"Well, before we go anywhere... Do you want to see my diploma?" I asked my mom.

We stayed in the human realm till evening, talking about the graduation ceremony, showing human food to Eda, and overall having fun. My mom even gave Eda some real alcohol to try out instead of apple blood. However, it turned out to be a little too strong for her and she passed after one glass.

When the time has come I made sure to properly pack myself this time since some things are hard to come by on the Boiling Isles. Eda and Amity were already waiting for me so when I went downstairs it was time for a goodbye. Well, I had to wait for my turn since Ami was thanking my mom for the hospitality for at least 15 minutes. Finally, I got a chance to say goodbye and after a prolonged hug, I went on my way. Soon we reached the portal and after almost a year, I was back on the Boiling Isles.

Amity was probably more excited than me. As soon as we crossed the portal she started casting various spells, putting it in her words, trying to reconnect with the magic of the Isles. For me, seeing her happy was more than enough, though I couldn't deny myself drawing a few glyphs. I missed the magic, even though it wasn't an integral part of my life.

We entered the Isles right next to the Owl House, though the surrounding area certainly changed. It was much more alive than it used to be. I still was in the dark, regarding what happened here during those months, nonetheless, the changes were clearly visible.

When we reached the door we were greeted by Hooty. He was delighted when he saw me. I greeted him back, though as per usual avoided a longer conversation. Having them with Hooty was, well, weird. The insides of the Owl House did not change a lot, everything was as it used to be. King sleeping on the sofa, Hooty talking to himself outside, nothing extraordinary.

Then Lilith peeked out of the kitchen and she clearly wasn't happy to see me. Wait... what is she even doing here? I was kinda confused, though it wasn't my biggest concern now, since she looked like she wanted to end me. Luckily for me, Amity stood right beside me. Lilith's facial expression made a literal 180-degree turn. I had no idea she could smile even a little, not to mention such a grin.

"Amity... Is that really you?"

"I missed you so much, Ms. Lilith." Amity said, running up to her and hugging her.

"Oh, my Titan... I can't-" I think Lilith was crying, I have to admit, I didn't expect that to happen. "You can drop the 'Ms.' I think we are past that, Amity."

It was cute seeing them together. Moreover, it was nice when they were not trying to hunt me and Eda down. I felt kinda bad for Lilith, all this time she thought I murdered Amity. Even thinking about that sends chills down my spine. I'm glad things worked out, additionally, it would be nice if Lilith didn't hate me.

While Amity was hugging everything out with her former mentor, I decided it would be a good time to wake up King. At first, he did not enjoy being pulled out of his sleep, until he saw me. He started running all around the room, full of joy. It was good to be back. Now the only thing left is to see Willow and Gus. I did not get a chance to say goodbye, and just like with everyone, I missed them so much.