PART 30.5: Deception

♡×♡×♡

When Gabriel and Amelie left the room, they took the tension with them.

After waiting a few moments to ensure they were gone, Lila turned to Felix and smiled.

"Your acting has improved. I could really see the defeat in your eyes."

"I learned from the best," Felix told her.

She leaned forward and pressed a kiss on his cheek. She'd wondered if the plan would work, let alone to this degree. When Felix had approached her with the audio, she was hesitant to be in charge of it. But when she thought of the look on the designer's face, she realized that it had been so, so worth it.

"Are you sure he didn't notice something was off?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm positive." He gently put his hands around her waist as he helped her off the ground. "My uncle has wanted me to stay out of his business since I arrived here. Now I'm giving him the chance to get rid of me for good." Felix's expression darkened. "And he was wrong," he said. "News isn't what stays in the public eye for so long. It's tension, rumors. People care about drama. Family issues between one of the most famous fashion families in the world? Now that's something that gets people curious."

Lila frowned at the last part. "One of the world's most famous designers being a terrible parent isn't drama, though."

"Mhm. That's the messed up part," Felix said. "But attention is attention at the end of the day."

As his words slowly began to sink in, her heart sunk deeper. "Does that mean you really will leave?" she asked.

She hated the fact that she choked on her words. She hated it even more that Felix noticed. He gave her a sad smile.

"I don't really have a choice, now do I?"

Lila said nothing and looked at him. She couldn't figure out how to say everything she wanted to say. When Felix saw the look on her face, he realized that now wasn't the time to joke. His expression instantly softened. "It was bound to happen eventually," he said under his breath.

"I know. I just thought that...." She sank her teeth into her lip in frustration. "You saved me back there," she finally said. "You can't leave. Not now. Not after we just--"

Felix took her hand, putting her thoughts on pause. It felt like her heart was going to explode as his eyes observed her face under the light of the chandelier.

"Is someone gonna miss me?"

For a brief, brief moment, she hated him again. Her brain wanted her to scream at him, but she shut down the thought before she could say something she didn't mean. "I know you love messing with me," she said quietly, "but now isn't the time..."

He kissed her hand, then with her consent, moved her hair out of her face and kissed her lips. "It was an honor to be your accomplice, Rossi."

The use of her nickname made her throat burn. Lila realized that to her horror, her eyes were watering. "Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry," she whispered to herself, not caring if Felix heard.

Lila didn't cry, but she needed to do something else so that she wouldn't. The only thing she could think of was hugging him.

So that's what she did.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close. She didn't let him breathe while he barely touched her, being wary of her ribs.

As he held her in his arms with shocking gentleness, Lila realized that Felix Graham de Vanily was the only person on earth she never wanted to lie to again.