PART 16: Pathetic Apologies

♡×♡×♡

Felix hadn't exactly forgotten about the lunch. It was more like things got in the way of his attendance. But there were only so many things you could avoid before you became suspicious. And unfortunately, this was something he couldn't miss.

Hearing the clicking of his shoes on the marble floor took him back to his own home. Just as he was beginning to accept the feeling, he nearly collided with the tall doors of the dining hall. The familiar feeling instantly faded as he was hit with a wave of memories from his uncle's mansion. Despite the fact that he was miles away from it, the effect it had on him wasn't leaving anytime soon.

He remembered the feeling of dread that used to wash over him when he was within a few feet of his uncle. Talking with him was like trying not to step on glass. But he failed every time, because just as he thought he was safe, he would end up slipping and falling on the shards.

What used to happen was that by the end of each visit, his uncle would have him on the verge of tears. Adrien would attempt to comfort him, only to be dragged away by Nathalie for something more important. It wasn't until the passing of his father, Gus, that Felix had no choice but to come to the conclusion: Gabriel didn't care about him.

So, why should he waste his time and energy caring about him? Why should he pretend to enjoy his company and act excited to visit?

Felix took a breath, held it, and exhaled. He wasn't biting his lip this time, so he didn't need to remind himself not to do that. He readjusted his tie for the third time. Or maybe the fourth. He'd lost count on his way.

When he pushed the door open, he was reminded once again why he hated family reunions.

He was faced with an elegant dining room, with white marble flooring that matched the hallway, and fake plants that embellished almost every corner. A chandelier shined above the beautifully set table in the center, hanging so low that he could probably touch it if he tried. His mom was seated next to an empty white chair, and across from her sat his uncle and his cousin.

Amelie looked up at the sound of the door opening, and her eyes lit up when she noticed him enter. The room was silent as she walked over to him. It wasn't until she was closer that he realized just how tense she was. Even as she linked arms with him and guided him to the table, he could tell that there was an act she was keeping up, and it was starting to get to her. "Darling, you're late," she said through the gritted teeth of her smile.

Gabriel glanced at them. "It's alright, Amelie. He hadn't missed much."

Felix gave his uncle a grateful nod and took his seat next to his mom. Across the table, both Adrien and Gabriel avoided direct eye contact with him for the moment.

He knew this was private, but he didn't know it was this private. A dark little section in the back of his mind wondered how many people were actually listening in. He expected any conversation to pick up right where it had left off. However, he was met with disappointment when in the first few minutes, not a single word was exchanged.

He could handle the quiet. He found comfort in it, most of the time. But not this. Felix couldn't remember the last time he'd eaten at the same table as his family. It didn't take long for him to remember why he disliked it so much. This silence wasn't comforting in the slightest. This silence was crushing, the atmosphere threatening to suffocate him.