PART 27: Audacity

♡×♡×♡

I kissed Lila Rossi.

Felix had felt himself smiling like an idiot ever since it happened. All it took was remembering the brush of his lips against hers, and his cheeks were warm before he could even finish the thought. He hadn't contacted her since then in an effort to give her some space. She was probably confused about what had happened. He was, too. When they first met, he'd found her to be cunning, sarcastic, and annoying. She was still all of those things. So why did he find it so endearing now?

The walls of the Agreste mansion surrounded him as he walked down the hall, evening moonlight seeping through the large windows. As much as he disliked his uncle, he had to admit that the security worked wonders. Sneaking off to see Lila was enough work, and much to his surprise, sneaking back in was just as hard.

He was snapped back to reality when his body collided with Adrien's back. Adrien turned around, but Felix was already walking off. "My bad," he muttered.

He expected the hallway to go silent once again, but Adrien changed that.
"Hey, Felix, are you okay?"

Felix stopped walking and turned to him, not even bothering to hide the confusion on his face. "What--yeah. I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

Adrien shrugged. "Well, you know, I don't think being threatened by Kira Blanchet is a good experience."

"Thank you for your concern, but I survived."

He brushed him off and was about to continue down the hall when Adrien spoke up again.

"What about you and Lila?"

Felix let out an exasperated sigh. "What about us?" he asked, barely holding back the sharpness in his voice.

"I've noticed you two hanging around each other. Chloe's noticed, too," Adrien said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "So I was just curious."

It dawned on Felix what his cousin was asking, and he cursed himself for the warmth that rose to his face.

Unfortunately, his struggle to find an excuse was noticeable. Adrien put his hands up as if to surrender. "Look, I don't mean to get into your business. But if there is something happening between you two, your secret is safe with me."

Your secret is safe with me.

Felix wanted to believe him, but after everything that had happened, could he really? No matter what Adrien thought, they'd never been close. They had their families that bonded them, but it never felt like more than that. He'd learned a bit too early that some people couldn't be trusted. After all these years, he still wasn't sure where Adrien Agreste lied on that spectrum.

"Nothing's happening," he finally said. "Can I go now?"

Adrien frowned. "Yeah, sure," he said under his breath.

But he didn't even get the chance to leave because Amelie popped up behind them with a grin on her face. "Hello darlings." Amelie placed a light kiss on Adrien's forehead, as if she hadn't just appeared from of nowhere. "Adrien, you don't mind if I steal Felix for a moment, do you?"

The cousins exchanged a look. "Uh, go ahead," Adrien said. "We were just done talking."

Amelie smiled and turned on her heels. Felix followed without another word.