PART 15: No Remorse

♡×♡×♡

She stood on the balcony, looking at the ground below. Police cars were parked outside the entrance, officers with notepads either leaning against one of the cars or talking to someone by the gate. She noticed the dark waves of Kira and instantly knew she had to step away.

What am I even doing here? It's too early to think about this.

It really wasn't that early, Lila had just decided to let herself be petty for a few minutes. But that pettiness quickly became overwhelming. All she could focus on was the night before. The first thing she'd done that morning was making sure there were no shards of glass stuck to her shoes, trying but failing not to cut herself in the process.

She turned around to head back inside, only to be met with a somewhat sleep-deprived Felix in front of the door.

"Watch it," he said, a hint of laughter in his voice.

Lila had to stop herself from letting out a short scream. "What the--how did you even--"

"Uh, your mom let me in. She said you would be out here."

She was still so surprised, she couldn't say anything at first. She'd been so lost in thought that she hadn't heard the door open. Shooting him a quick glare, she turned back to the railing of the balcony. "You're not supposed to be here."

Felix narrowed his eyes at this. "I thought I told you the same thing."

"That doesn't mean we can keep being careless," she sniped back. "What are you even doing at our door in the first place?"

His look softened, and he stood next to her. "I just came to check on you."

She didn't protest, although could feel him sneak a glance at the bandaid on her finger. He joined her in looking at the ground, and his eyes widened when he saw what she had been looking at. "You think they found anything?"

"I don't know," Lila said, moving her bangs out of her face. "They were here before I woke up, and I don't have the energy to figure out what they were talking about."

A distant thunder moved her attention to the gray clouds slowly moving into the sky. The rain began to fall sooner than she'd expected, pricking her skin like small, cold needles.

"Wanna head inside?" Felix asked.

Lila simply shook her head. "Who cares?" 

Felix didn't have an answer this time. He didn't even offer her anything sarcastic. Instead, he took off his jacket and tossed it to her before she could think. "That way if you complain about being sick," he said with a smile, "I'll know it's not my problem."

"Gee, thanks." Lila looked between him and the jacket. She was hesitating, though she wasn't exactly sure why. She told herself she was overthinking and put it on without another thought. It was slightly too big and she could smell his perfume, but it did the job. It blocked out the cold that followed the rain just minutes later.

He was about to leave, but he paused when he heard a quiet, "God, I want to go home." Lila heard him turn around when she added, "I want to go home and just ignore all of this."

"Technically, we could do that--"

"No, we can't." Now that he was here, she couldn't help herself. She needed to get it out. "Not only does Kira still have it out for us, but now someone else has the guts to break into this place. Or...something like that. I don't know. All I know is something is going on, and I don't know why, but--"