Home Alone

"Home Alone"

|14|

Javier

It doesn't take much to end a life, I would know. A simple jab of a knife, a subtle move of a finger against a trigger or if you're me, all you have to do is say a single word. . .and just like that, death comes as fast as the speed of light.

Simple, subtle, irreversible and inevitable death.

I sit in the living room of the beach house in solitude. The others went out to buy groceries to make dinner. However, I didn't feel the need to accompany them. I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to engage in unnecessary mundane interactions.

I won't lie. The shift in my mood is entirely because of my knowledge of Kalíanna's, father's actions. Just affi laugh it off, pity him nuh know seh him fuck up. Real fucking bad.

Kalíanna is too forgiving for her own good, if I could shelter her for her entire life, I would do just that. . .without question.

Except, that's not how life works.

One is bound to have their own experiences, whether you like it or not.

I wished my mother understood that sooner

But that doesn't mean I won't do all in my will to protect her, for as long as I'm able to.

The sound of a door creaking open sounds from upstairs, followed by slow footsteps. Mi woulda move if mi did 'fraid a duppy, but I'm yet to see one myself. Plus, I'm awfully eager to.

Mi granny always seh mi spirit too 'crawse' and for that reason I'll never encounter one in my lifetime.

I await to see who it is.

"Javi," a female voice spoke.

Then, Renée steps into the darkened space in nothing but a tank top and underwear.

"Watch yah, mi did think yuh gone." She laughed.

I know as much as she did that I had never left the house.

Wah she a try?

I played along to see where this would go.

"No, eno." I offered a slight shrug. "Never inna eh mood." I rest my spliff in the ashtray before me. Placing my elbows on my knees, I leaned foward with my hands clasped.

She finds a number of unnecessary tasks to do in the space of the living room. Some that involved bending over unnecessarily.

I watched as she cleaned the glass table before me, her ass directly in my face and just a minute earlier, she was at the other end with her breasts spilling out of her top. She apologized for the flash when one breast accidentally fell out.

I'm starting to wonder what gave some women the impression that I was eager to cater to all their sexual needs. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

If I engaged in sexual activities it was entirely for my own pleasure, never their own.

She gets the broom next.