- FIVE: THE TOMBS

CELL BLOCK "C" HAS BEEN CLEARED. The remaining walkers left in their cells were cared for once, checking every nook and cranny. The courtyard was cleared, and a gate leading into the other side of the square had been locked to keep a large number of walkers who had found their way out of the open space. From what the group saw, some of the walkers were once civilians. So, that could only mean that there was a breach. As long as walkers couldn't get into cell block C, there wouldn't be a problem.

Willow held Sophia by the shoulders as the group moved their belongings inside. The building was warm enough to keep them out of the cold, which brought some comfort to Willow as she guided Sophia deeper into their new home.

"What do you think?" Rick questioned everyone while walking down the steps. The others watched T-Dog drag one of the walkers they had found out of the cell block.

"Home sweet home," Glenn says while carrying his and Maggie's things into a cell closest to the stairs on the first floor.

"For the time being," Rick says, touching his hips.

"It's secure?" Lori questioned, looking up at the place. It hadn't been touched since the beginning. Nothing seemed to be going in or out of this section.

"This cellblock is," Rick tells them.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel questioned, the last to make his way in. He held Beth close, staring at Rick for some confirmation. His girl's safety meant more than his own.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and infirmary," Rick tells them.

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth held her rolled-up blanket close, eyeing one particular cell. Closest to Maggie and Glenn's.

"I found keys on some guards. Daryl has a set, too."

"Where will I sleep, Mom?" Sophia questioned, quickly catching herself. Carol had died right before Sophia, taken away from her, causing her to become an orphan. The trauma from this event lingered months later, and the petite blonde did everything she could to forget. Placing the title "mom" on Willow. Hunter gave her the motherly attention she missed, and in a sick, twisted way, she wanted to rewrite the reality of everything.

Willow stopped herself, looking down at Sophia. This wasn't the first time Sophia had done such a thing.

"Sophia," Willow starts, slipping her hand away from her shoulders. "You can't keep doing that. I'm not your mother, and I will never replace her."

Sophia tucked a few of her hair behind her ear, looking everywhere but Willow. She acknowledges that—there wasn't a time when she didn't understand Willow and Daryl weren't her birth parents. But deep down, as she watched their strength and teamwork, Sophia wondered if Carol and Ed would be alive today if things were different. If her father wasn't weak and her mother wasn't too gentle.

"You will share a cell with Beth, okay?" Willow smiled, seeing the uneasiness coming from Sophia. If Willow could take all of the pain away, she would. No child should have to push themselves to forget. For now, all Willow could do was keep her safe.

While Sophia walked away, Willow rubbed the crown of her head, looking up to see Daryl slowly make his way to the perch. She whistles for Legend to go with Sophia and Beth since he kept the two girls safe.

With that, Willow makes her way up the steps, curiously watching Daryl. He went into a cell and began to drag a mattress out of it. At the top step, Williw gripped the strap of her bag, tilting her head;

"What are you doing?" Willow questioned while he dragged it right in the middle of the perch, blocking Willow's path.

"I ain't sleepin' in no cell," Daryl grunts, allowing the mattress to fall on the dust-covered floor.