- THREE: PRISON

BREATHING THROUGH HER NOSE, Willow gave the night sky an encouraging reflection. Their attempt to take over the entrance of the prison was a success. Everyone did their duties to eliminate any vermin that wandered across the fields. Their bodies were gathered and placed far away from where the group decided to set up camp. The land was large enough to roam without worry. It was so much space, the others barely knew what to do with it. Still, instead of moving away from each other, the group determined to crowd by a fire.

Just as they had done many nights before. These weeks on the road surprisingly gave each member a closeness. Yes, there may have been bickering here and there, but that wasn't going to stop their bonds from thriving.

That closeness gave them a reason to keep moving.

Willow tapped the heels of her worn boots against the underside of the flipped-over bus. Her long wavy hair had been untangled from its braid, allowing each strand to breathe. The night air felt delightful and the skies were clear. So clear, the woman could see the stars. Galaxies. Moons. Planets. Creations she could have never imagined before. The world was once polluted, now, in its irony, it was becoming a beautiful disaster.

A whistle made Willow lower her gaze, and she came to see Daryl stepping onto the rubble road that led in and out of the prison's property. He held a blanket and a bowl of roasted squirrel. The woman hurried to her feet to help the man up with his belongings.

Once on the side of the bus, the two stood before each other. At first quiet, unsure what to say, but Daryl hands over the bowl.

"You didn't have to keep the first watch," Daryl spoke as Willow took the bowl from him.

"Not much of a watch," Willow tells him. The pair sit down at the edge just as Willow had done before. She picks up some chunks of the greasy meat, examining it under the moonlight as Daryl positioned the blanket on both of their laps. The fabric was itchy, but it kept her legs warm. So she did not complain.

Warmth and food meant so much more than they did pre Apocalypse. She would have wrinkled her nose at the scratchy blanket and stringy meat. Now, she enjoyed the blissful taste of wild animals and an "almost" flea-infested shroud.

"Where is my apology," Willow spoke after chewing her meal slowly.

Daryl lowered his eyes from the sky to glance at the smirking woman. The full moon gave him just enough light to see her exhausted expression. She was just as beautiful as the day he laid his eyes on her, but that sassy smile made him roll his eyes.

"What?"

"You didn't believe that we could take this place," Willow throw up her greasy fingers to wave them above her head. Signifying the large area surrounding them. "Well! Here we are!"

Daryl snorts, then scratches his forearm out of annoyance. As he shook her head at her theoretical hand waving, Willow moved the side of her head closer to his, awaiting a reply.

With playful annoyance, Daryl nudges the woman away, and the two chuckle.

"I'm sorry," Daryl spoke after a few moments.

Willow, pleased to hear the words fly from between his lips, looked over at him with pleasure. He too gazed back, realizing they hadn't had a moment to themselves since the farm. They hadn't been able to do regular things such as date nights or moments to vent about their past like normal lovers. It was hard to do such a thing. Hard to show affection during life-or-death moments.

Underneath the blanket, Willow slowly laced her free hand with Daryl's, giving it a tight squeeze.

"We should go sit by the fire, it is chilly tonight," Willow announced before Daryl could lean forward and make the first move. Daryl so wanted his lips against hers, feel her mouth just as they had done once before. However, this time, Willow managed to reject any action just as he had done many times before.