- ONE: TIRED SOULS

Present day...

The world had changed. A blanket of fog covered humanity's lively hood. Halting growth in civilization and hope for future generations. Every turn felt like a fight, too difficult to see through the disease that overtook the planet. Any humans left, anything living, a matter of fact, had very little time left. Crops withered away. Resources scattered amongst others. Wildlife could barely keep up with the number of dead. Every day, someone died, and every time, they would come back as a mindless freak. Their hunger raged endlessly. Nothing could stand a chance. And for those few who did, they were hanging by a thread.

Willow Hunter, once a career-driven woman, saw firsthand what took place. She scoffed at the whispers, ignored the warnings, and in time, learned that the media wasn't pulling at their leg. It started with little to nothing, and within weeks, moved across the nation like wildfire.

She and her youngest sister, Jodie Hunter, narrowly made it out of their town. Scavenged for weeks alone until coming across a group. Luckily, this group still held structure and empathy. They took them in. Some felt jaded about the idea, others welcomed them with open arms.

That was months ago. Time had gone by fast. Many friends and family in the group had perished during these months. It took a toll on them, but they couldn't stop moving. Mourning the dead no longer existed.

The last refuge the group saw was Hershel Greene's farm. It was old, perhaps in the Greene's family name for generations. Hershel took pride in his land and despite hesitation and arguments, he eventually agreed to share the grounds with Willow's group. It seemed all too familiar. A place to stay, to thrive. And just like the CDC, their haven was ripped from underneath their feet.

That single event felt like a nightmare. One none of them could wake up from.

What made this experience worse; was Lori Grimes' pregnancy. As her stomach grew, anxiety settled in the group. How long did they have before she would have to nest in an abandoned home and give birth to a newborn? How can they keep a precious gift safe in a world where the dead ruled it?

All of this filled Rick Grimes', Lori's husband and the leader, chest with such anguish—the man who once held hope barely saw the light. Or perhaps he didn't want to see the light.

***

Silently, Willow grazed her fingers across Legend's matted fur. She did her best to keep the canine happy and fed, but she also understood that if she couldn't quite feed herself, she couldn't care for a dog. The pet had been found in a town not too far from the farm. He was abandoned like many things and Willow took pity. Since then, she saw the beautiful creature as a friend. He kept the group protected.

And despite their lack of food, shelter, and laughter; Legend made sure there was some normality.

The owner and her dog sat near a log. Her feet were exposed to the elements as her worn boots lay beside her feet. The amount of walking and running made her soles ache and at times bleed. She couldn't remember a moment when they were able to sit and rest. Every corner felt like a trap. Every step felt like their last. The herds of dead had doubled since leaving the farm, thus making it difficult to settle.

With the wiggle of her toes, Willow removed her hands from Legend's head and dug into her pack. She shakingly took out a small bag of expired chips. The dog lifted awkwardly from his lay, licking his lips at the snack. She smiles at him while opening the seal. And with her dirty hands, she quickly took a few of the salty fried delights from its home and began to feed her companion. As he rushed to take bites, she too dug into the bag so that she could eat.

"Hey."

To Willow's left, Daryl Dixon stood with his crossbow in hand. His once sandy blonde hair darkened to a chocolate brown due to the lengths that had grown. Underneath greasy bangs sat his blue eyes. Hard to read, yet, calming with every glance Willow gave them.

Daryl held an expression on his face that she couldn't quite read. They hadn't spoken since the night before, and he knew exactly why.

The group was split on their judgments. Not with Rick's decision of throwing out democraticay but the threats of the truth. Willow and Jodie Hunter were immune. It didn't seem possible, but Edwin Jenner stated otherwise. Once Rick slipped the reality, many gave the sisters strange looks.

"What makes them so special?" Many would think.

But to Willow, finding out that she and Jodie could withstand the virus frightened her. To Willow, this fact made them a target. If any deranged individual found out, there is no telling what could happen.

"Hey," Willow finally spoke lowly, wiping the crumbles from her mouth. She awkwardly held out the bag with a small number of chips left over. Daryl shook his head while kneeling beside her, suggesting she finishes it.

With a sigh, the woman did just that - allowing Legend to lick the crumbs from her fingers and palms moments later.

"We are about to head out," Daryl started, watching Willow pull on old socks and her tired boots right over them. As her fingers tied the strings, he watched the handcrafted arrow charm. That was the first gift he had ever made for someone and it delighted him to see the woman he cared for wear it around her neck. Although it mostly hid behind her button-up shirts and thick hand-me-down winter coat, it was still there. Daryl knew it mattered. Just as the shark tooth mattered to Willow.

"You okay?" Daryl finally questioned after a long silence. His thoughts went back to her still nature.

The woman placed her hands beside her on the damp ground before tilting her head to get a good look at Daryl.

With a smile, she carefully reaches over and wipes a smudge of dirt from his chin. Oh, how Dixon has grown. No longer the ill-tempered man she once knew, but a man who put others before himself. Perhaps Daryl had always been this way. The cost of trauma and a hard life caused him to keep his guard up.

Moving and searching was normal to him, but having others to look after is something new. In a way, these people around him had calmed him. They wanted him around and saw him as their equal. It felt odd once Daryl accepted the notion.

"Yes, Daryl. I'm fine," she lied.

Lying is the only thing she knew how to do nowadays.

Daryl, seeing the erroneous intrepidity, decided to not push the topic. He pushes his legs upward to stand up straight, and once on his feet, he held out his hand. Willow placed her hand on his and worked with him to stand. Then, without uttering a word, she snatches up her pack, quiver with handmade arrows, and bow.

With Legend by their side, the couple starts for the others. Hand in hand. No words are exchanged for there is nothing else to say.