Chapter 10: Communication

Start from the beginning

Caleb: Wow....this is amazing.

Elizabeth: Specially better now that we're out of those woods and away from that bear.

Caleb: Did that bear somehow survive?

Elizabeth: No. He's definitely dead.

Caleb laughs.

Elizabeth: so, Caleb, tell me more about yourself.

Caleb: Me? What's there to tell? I'm just a small-town Canadian boy.

Elizabeth: Exactly! And I want to know what adventures did you go on! Your life stories! Your time in the apocalypse! Was it amazing? Was it grand?

Elizabeth sits down on a couch, before Caleb laughs and joins her.

Caleb: Well, since I'm technically a guest. Why don't you tell me about your life story? And why the hell do people call you Queen Elizabeth?

Elizabeth: Well, that's fair.

Elizabeth looks out and smiles, before turning to Caleb.

Elizabeth: People want someone to lead them. It's a part of human nature and they want someone to ensure their safety. People who feel safe feel dangerous. They see a woman wearing a bad-ass custom skeleton mask and they automatically see a leader. They make a woman seem larger than life, a hero. Who am I to fuck up their dreams? These people needed someone to follow...someone to look up to....Balthazar...I saved his life...and then he told stories about me and more people came...people like me. He protected me...made me feel important.

Elizabeth puckers her lips and raises her hands.

Elizabeth: That's Elizabeth Carson for you. Now, your turn.

Caleb: Uh....so...I had a sister....her name was Beth. She died.....for a while, I was by myself, but then Kyle gave me a whole new family over the past twelve years. Yeah, I lost more people after that....I still kept fighting...kept believing....Kyle gave me hope....and he still does.

Elizabeth takes Caleb's hand.

Elizabeth: When's the last time you felt alive, Caleb?

Caleb looks at Elizabeth, and after a few minutes of eye-locking, Caleb leans in and kisses Elizabeth on the lips. She returns to kiss as the two begin to get intimate. In the Outlands, John and Balthazar walk as Balthazar explains the details of the Outlands.

Balthazar: We have about ten to twenty people show every single month. We grow stronger. Your friends Caleb and Kyle saw to that. Spared our people when we saw them as enemies. Gave us a chance to find a new home.

John looks down.

Balthazar: John? Are you alright?

John: Yeah...I almost forgot, but do you guys happen to have a radio?

Balthazar leads John to a broadcast radio room.

Balthazar: This radio communicates very far. All you have to do is find the right frequency.

John: I think I remember the right one.

John inputs Berrington's frequency and attempts to contact Berrington.

John: John to Berrington....John to Berrington...it's John Stone, do you copy?

In Berrington, Connor answers the radio broadcast from the Outlands.

Connor: John? Is that you? This is Connor.

John: Yeah, Connor, just calling from the Outlands. Caleb and I made it. Sorry it took us so long to get here. I'm pretty sure Kyle's been wondering where the two of us have been. He around?