what lies beneath

This was it. It was happening. My life was signed up for failure.

I stood in front of my family. I dusted off the skirt of the gigantic dress I was wearing. It was beige with all types of crystals and pearls beaded on. The corset was tightened to the fullest and I was slowly losing my breath.

But maybe not just because of the corset but because of the scene in front of me. The King with the Queen stood there, with smile on their faces.

The door of the carriage was open, waiting for me. Waiting for my life to be ruined.

Sorea helped me walk with slow but steady steps. The dress was dragging me backward with each step I took.

My hair was waved back, half pined with a pin made of diamonds.

I got closer and closer to the Queen. She extended her hands and gave me a very light hug that lasted a second. "I wish you the best of luck, sweetheart." Her voice echoed in my ears.

"Thank you." I returned with a tender smile.

The next one was the King. His crown stood crooked on his head which was covered with shoulder-length grey hair. His face was wrinkled and the beard that decorated his jaw was in the same color as his hair.

The smile that showed his yellow teeth formed on his mouth and he motioned for me to give him a hug.

I let out a sigh and walked towards him. His short chubby arms, his fingers covered in rings, circled around my shoulders and he brought his face closer to my neck.

My arms lightly patted his back and I wanted to puke of the smell that reeked from him.

He turned his head and placed his mouth closer to my ear. "Do what your husband says and do not rebel against him. Also, do not make it difficult for me. Daughter." He said the last word a little louder so everyone could hear it.

"Yes, father." I pulled away and elegantly laughed. Oh how much I wanted to disappear.

"We are to see you soon." The Queen said behind me and I brushed the comment off. Whatever it's not like I wanted to see them.

Sorea supported my arm and we started walking to the carriage. A small bald-headed man stood by the door, his posture straight and his stare as well. His eyes were focused in front of him.

He bowed his head and extended his palm for me to take. "Princess Emiliana." He said with a firm voice.

I lifted my leg and stepped inside. Sorea helped me with the dress and I was finally seated. The doors were closed after me and I took a deep breath and calmed my nerves.

I turned my head to my family and waved at them. They returned the wave and I heard the horse's shoes clicking on the ground. The carriage started to move.

Princess Emiliana...

That was not my name. And I was not a princess.

I was just a regular girl.

Servant girl.

With a horrible faith.

--------------
ONE WEEK AGO
--------------

Life was unfair.

To me yes, but mostly to my Mama.

When I turned eleven years old, she got a disease. I don't know what kind of, but she was unable to walk. Her legs hurt and she couldn't do anything by herself. She became a living corpse, just lying in her bed.