number twenty-eight

12. August 1975

The car passed by me, the wind blowing the skirt around my legs. I groaned, stomping my leg on the ground. Why were they not stopping?

I had to be there in exactly three hours. But with no car and no transportation, it's going to take longer.

I started walking by the road in the hope of someone driving past again.

Hitchhiking was never my thing, but since I started living alone, I had no other choice. I had no driving license and definitely no car. It was hard at first but I'm slowly getting used to it. Kind of.

It's not just me who hitchhikes anyways.

The sun was shining through the tall trees that were thankfully creating shadows in all different shapes and forms on the dirty ground. The tall, green trees decorated the road, making almost a wall of leaves.

I loved nature but walking here in the middle of August was not something I wished on myself. The bugs were everywhere and the hot weather was suffocating me.

I was not from here and I was not used to dealing with such weather.

Lifting my hands, I fanned my face and pushed my long blond hair behind my shoulders. The t-shirt I had on was glued to my body due to the sweat and the skirt was somehow still able to fan my legs while flowing around me.

The dirt from the ground was getting into my flat shoes and I had the urge to take them off and walk bare feet.

The bag was weighing on my shoulder and I stopped in place. I couldn't anymore.

Were there no more cars around?

I've never been on this road alone before. I crossed it with a car, with a few of my friends but never alone.

Was I scared? Maybe. Okay, yes.

I was a twenty-five-year-old girl after all. Anything can happen. Stuff that I should not be thinking of right now. In this situation.

Don't think about it, Abigail.

I crouched down and glanced at my shoes. I took one off slowly and winced at the pain. Shit, the side of my feet was bloody.

Taking the bag off my shoulder, I placed it next to me and opened it. Going through the inside, I grabbed one tissue and lightly dabbled it on the small wound.

Wincing again, I threw the small paper tissue into the bag and closed it.

I have been walking for two hours now and nothing. Two cars have passed and none of them stopped.

Couldn't they just help a girl in need? For how long do I have to walk? It's getting frustrating now.

I mean I know people are not entitled to take me with them but still...

Getting up, I straighten my posture and stretched myself while placing my hands on my back. Ugh, even my back started to hurt. I feel like an eighty-year-old grandma.

I glanced around and I saw a small figure in the distance. What was that?

Placing a hand above my eyes I squeezed them, in the hope of getting a better look. Could that be a car?

I waited for a few more seconds and I realized that indeed was a car. A relief washed over me and I whispered a yes under my breath.

I started waving my hands above me in the hope of the car noticing. Taking quick steps, I stood in the middle of the road. Please, at least this one.

"Hey!" The car was surprisingly beginning to slow down and I laughed out loud.

I jumped up and down.