chapter thirteen

The devil works hard but the manager of Lake View Hotel works harder. I figured amidst all the chaos of the damage it'd be days before I heard anything from them but it's Sunday morning and I have an email already, only a day after the storm.

Dear Charlotte Miller,

We are deeply sorry that your stay with us has been cut short due to extensive damage caused to the hotel during the storm on the morning of August 5th. A refund equal to the balance of your remaining stay (10 nights) has been processed to the original payment method and should be reflected in your bank account in 3-10 business days. We apologize for the inconvenience and we do hope this unavoidable Act of God does not negatively impact your review of our hotel and your stay. Unfortunately due to it being the high season, we have been unable to arrange alternative accommodations within Fisher. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email or call me on the number below.

Regards,

Ben Phillips

Manager, Lake View Hotel

Fisher, ID

I send Ben a quick reply to thank him for the refund and to assure him that I've made my own arrangements, and a weight lifts off my shoulders to know I'll have the money back by the time I leave. Which means I can afford a ticket to Los Angeles to see Gaby and Tay.

Hey, I text, thinking about what we talked about (meeting in LA when I leave Fisher) - @gaby is there a day you can get there when you're free Tay?

I switch to my browser and check flights. I could leave my car here, take the bus to Boise, and get a two-hour flight to Burbank for a hundred fifty dollars, return. Then come back here, pick up my car and...

I don't know.

Drive to South Dakota, I guess. Live with my mom for a bit, get a job somewhere in Rapid City doing literally anything to make a bit of money while I figure my life out. It's not a great plan, but it's the best I have.

I'm free whenever!! Tay says. I mean my schedule is PACKED during the week I literally get like 3 hours a day to myself lol BUT my weekends are free-ish!

What is free-ish, I ask.

I joined a Saturday morning book club and Danny & I do Saturday date night but that ain't gonna get in the way of you coming here! So any weekend you want, you can come.

She then adds, & you can both totally stay with us!! We have a sofa bed and a weird little room that's, like, bigger than a closet but too small for a bedroom?? I can squeeze an air mattress in there I think!

Awesome!! @Gaby when are you free? The best for me is the 18th-20th? I could stay a few days longer here with Lou (if she'll have me) and fly in on the Friday night? I text, fingers flying over the keys as excitement builds. I've never been to Los Angeles. Never been to California. Fisher is probably the closest I've ever been and it's still two states away.

Gaby isn't online. I check the time - it's eleven here, ten in San Diego. She's probably at work, in the middle of some important meeting. I exit the group chat, leaving the message to marinade, and I pull on Lou's Boise State sweater over the closest approximation to a running kit I could find in the dresser. Bright turquoise yoga pants and a black tank top with wide arm holes, exposing the sides of my sports bra, which is mostly ornamental. I don't have enough boob to need support so half the time I go bra-free, but not when I run. I've had chafed nips before - not worth it.

I slept in later than usual. It's ten o'clock and Lou's lessons have already started for the day. I can hear her being kind and patient with the young girl who arrived twenty minutes ago and I don't want to interrupt so I scrawl a note on a piece of paper towel — gone for a quick run, taken a banana (will replace) — and I eat the banana as I stretch.