Chapter 6.1: Competition Time

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

ZOEY RIVERA

"RANKING THE BOYS DURING AN OVERNIGHT TRIP," I said as I walked into our room. "Isn't this a bit cliche?"

For some reason, the girls chose our room as the congregation place for this activity. It was a tight fit, but I managed to squeeze in with enough room to close the door off to any eager ears.

"A cliche means everyone does it," Mallory said. "It's only logical for us to do it too."

"We planned to do this last night, but we sorta forgot," Brianna mentioned.

Annie handed me the paper. "Here's the list so far."

1. Bond Fanucci

2. Grant Michaels

3. Hunter Stiglitz

4. Seymour Greene

5. Sam Soren

6. Rich Mutatio

7. Justice Parker

8. Conan Schwartz

9. Charlie Hickox

10. Howard Bhadeem

11. Moses Dhurai

12. Cook Spurs

Illiana nudged me. "Do you want us to put Rich higher?"

"No, he's a good baseline for average. But Seymour is too lanky. I say he and Sam should switch spots."

"He's the tallest guy," Lauren said. "That's a plus."

"He's too tall. It hurts to look up at him for more than thirty seconds. And his entire personality is liking basketball. He needs more depth."

Emilia pointed at me. "That is exactly what I said!"

I handed the paper back. "I feel bad for Cook. He's nice, but you guys obviously put him last because he's plump."

"He's not plump," Stacy said. "He's comfortable with being called fat. You're too nice sometimes."

"When you rank things, something is always gonna be last. How would you guys feel if the boys ranked us?"

"They probably did. If I were to bet, I'd say they put Penny first."

Penny grinned gently at that compliment.

The boys had a remarkable hive mind and somehow pulled off things they wanted to do with ease. One of them would mention something and the rest would be on board.

But doing what we were doing? That was one thing I didn't see their hivemind pulling off.

"I don't think the boys would do something so girlish."

The girls shook their heads at me as if I was an innocent child who didn't know better.