Chapter 2.3: The New Girl

(OCTOBER 2010)

---

RICH MUTATIO

When we were let out for recess, the class flocked around Zoey. She was getting asked the same questions over and over again.

"Where are you from?"

"What do you like to do?"

"Do you like it better here or back home?"

"Out of all the guys, who would you date?"

I'd hate to be her right now.

Bond took me to a blind spot in the kindergarten area where Mallory, Charlie, and Conan were waiting.

Mallory wrapped her arm around me. "So, how do you feel about Zoey?"

"She's cool."

"Do you love her?"

I staggered backwards. "Huh?! That's such a random thing to ask..."

"That wasn't random. You were staring at her during class."

Charlie pointed at me. "Yeah, you were just gaping at her during the math lesson."

"W-Wha?—No, no, no, it's not like that."

"You're stuttering, Richie," Mallory snickered, grinning.

I considered telling them about the vision I had last night but chose against it. "If I told you, you guys would laugh at me."

Conan hopped off the ledge he was sitting on. "So you are considering her as a love interest?"

"See?" Mallory chuckled. "I told you."

I stomped on the ground. "Shut up! It's not like that!"

"You can't just stare at her the entire time and say it was nothing," Bond pointed out.

Mallory nodded. "Yeah, that doesn't make any sense."

These guys are really annoying.

I couldn't tell them about the vision. If I did, they'd hammer in the fact and say we were destined together.

"I'm just curious about her, I guess. She's new here and I wanna be nice to her."

That should get them off my back.

Bond pointed above his head as if a lightbulb lit up. "Bingo!"

"He admitted it!" Conan cheered. "We got him to admit that he loves her!"

I stomped my foot. "I said I just wanted to be nice to her!"

Charlie rubbed his hands. "That means the exact same thing as love."

"That doesn't even come close to meaning the same thing!"

Mallory wrapped her arm around me again. "Don't worry about it, bud. We'll think of something for you two by the end of the day. Starting now, consider the four of us your trusty wingmen."